Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2010 05:00

Need to know upgrade options for win 7 home basic 64 bit - To Win 7 Pro or ultimate

hi all,

please let me know what all options are available in india to upgrade win 7 home basic 64 bit to win 7 pro or ultimate. i need to run programs in xp mode.

the current os came pre-installed with my dell inspiron 15R.

Also, win XP pro is no longer available for sale - original os. so i can't install that on my machine.

let me know options available to run programs in xp mode.

Thanks

Prateek

• 

16.7K Posts

prateek55,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

If Win7 home 64 bit came installed on your computer you will need to purchase win 7 pro from Dell. You will then need to format and reinstall win7 pro.

9 Posts

ok thanks for your reply.

rest, is it still possible to purchase win xp pro 64 bit sp3 edition - original os from somewhere???

• 

16.7K Posts

August 31st, 2010 06:00

prateek55,

You would need to search the internet. Dell does not offer XP any longer on systems. If you do find a copy of XP you will need to make sure that Dell has the XP drivers for your system as well.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 31st, 2010 12:00

You do not have to buy the upgrade to Pro from Dell, and you do not have to reinstall if upgrading from Home Premium to Professional.  Any retail upgrade will work.  To upgrade, you simply enter the Product Key for Pro that you purchased, and enter it in the Anytime Upgrade wizard in Windows 7.  The only time you will have to reinstall, is if you are installing a different architecture - 32-bit to 64-bit and vice versa.

You can still find XP for sale, if you are looking:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-SP2C-System-Builders/dp/B000R46PN0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1283277543&sr=8-1-fkmr0

No Events found!