Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Dimension 9200 with MS Vista freezes

Wyntha,

You have the latest versions of the chipset, BIOS and IMSM drivers from Dell. In the cases I have seen, that resolves the iastor timeout errors that have been caused by the IMSM driver not dealing correctly with mass storage drives that do not support LPM power management features. Since it is not correcting your timeouts, there may be more involved in the problem, like defective hardware or possible software conflicts. Quicktime and iTunes have been known to cause the timeouts as well. If you are running either of those applications, you may also want to check with Apple's website to see if there are any patches are updates that you could apply. If you suspect it is a hardware problem, you may want to contact tech support to troubleshoot the issue.

You might also give ver 7.6 of IMSM that desperate linked to a few posts back.

Message Edited by DELL-Bill B on 08-17-2007 08:15 AM
0 Kudos
Wyntha
2 Iron

Bill, Thanks for coming back to me on this. I do not have Itunes nor Quicktime installed. Took them out many months ago when first having the problem. I also ran several hardware tests on advice from Dell earlier and these showed that there was no problem. So what do I do now. I wonder if Dell has tested out my Dell delivered hardware and Dell delivered/updated software configuration at their labs (They can find out what this is by looking up my serial Tag # 8HK4R2J.). I don't like to install new versions of drivers and other software (IMSM 7.6) until it appears on Dell's own support site as have always felt I'm increasing my risks.

So unless I know you are still pursuing this problem for several of us then I feel completely lost. What do I do now? 
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wyntha,

The suggested steps in this thread have resolved the iastor lockups for most customers. Since you are still experiencing the issue, there may be more factors involved. I would work with tech support for a resolution in your case.
0 Kudos
Wyntha
2 Iron

After a long struggle with the Iastor problem I have now gone over to a non-Raid setup. However The Intel Matrix Storage system is still managing my disks and I have suffered one Iastor timeout since re-installation today. I marked the disks in the Raid BIOS (<Ctrl I> during bootup) as Non-Raid but I have Raid set to on in BIOS. So it appears that the Intel Software and Drivers are still managing these non-Raid disks.

The question I have then is why would I still get Iastor timeouts on non-Raid disks? Did I set up something wrong? Can I remove the Intel drivers and components completely from the system and if so how to I go about this?

Thankful for any help on this 
0 Kudos
twotiers
2 Bronze

Wyntha,

The Intel Software and Drivers are still managing these non-Raid disks in this configuration because you are still set to RAID On in the BIOS.

You would need to change the BIOS setting to RAID AutoDetect / ATA.

You need to follow the instructions Enable Vista Booting using RAID AutoDetect / ATA setting in BIOS in this post:

otherwise the computer won't start correctly.

Personally I would leave the components installed, otherwise you might have to do a clean install if you ever want to go back a RAID configuration using RAID On.

Hope that helps

PS Works with XP as well.

0 Kudos
armyxrays
2 Bronze

Wyntha,
About 4 months ago, I got tired of all this and did a clean reinstall, and set the BIOS to Raid Autodetect/ATA. I did NOT reinstall the IMSM at all.

Not one single freeze since. I have the system I paid for now (finally) and I love it. No slowdowns, freezes and rarely any errors for that matter.  Its great if you only have one hard drive, and I suggest biting the bullet and just doing the clean reinstall. Its worth it in the end.

Good luck to you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wyntha
2 Iron

Smiley Very Happy I'm pleased to report that since installing the very latest Intel Storage Management driver and after removing Raid-0 but still retaining the Intel Driver to manage my two disks I've not had a single Iastor problem. That was 10 days ago and I've done some pretty I-o intensive work during that time. So things look very promising at moment after 9 months of misery. What I don't know is whether the new Intel driver fixed the problem on was it my removing Raid-0 that did it? 
0 Kudos

Hi,

Wyntha wrote:
Smiley Very Happy I'm pleased to report that since installing the very latest Intel Storage Management driver and after removing Raid-0 but still retaining the Intel Driver to manage my two disks I've not had a single Iastor problem. That was 10 days ago and I've done some pretty I-o intensive work during that time. So things look very promising at moment after 9 months of misery. What I don't know is whether the new Intel driver fixed the problem on was it my removing Raid-0 that did it? 

which driver are you using? 7.6.0.x or 7.6.1.x or any other? 7.6.0.x works fine for me, I haven't yet tried 7.6.1.x.
0 Kudos
snowshine
4 Tellurium

Hi desperate-iastor,
I had only iastor error since the installation of IMSM v7.6.0.1011.

As always I await to see your posting on this subject desperate-iastor.
Please tell us if you ever install V   7.6.1.x and works well with the link to it.

Will we ever have an update for RAID Option ROM Version 6.0.0.1022?

Thank you very much desperate-iastor.
snow

0 Kudos
NY9200
1 Copper

I don't run Raid on my system and I have been having iastor problems since Feb 2007.
( 9200 vista home basic, 4GB,  2 internal hard  drives, 2 USB hard drives  for a total disk space 1.2T)

Over this period of time I have, updated all firmware and bios, updated iastor drivers, changed all my sata cables to ports 3,4,5 and still had periodic iastor errors.   Last night I changed my bios to ATA detect instead of using Raid on.  (followed the instructions at http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=vista&thread.id=23453.   Note, for my Vista Home Basic system, I had to completely shut  down and then start the computer,  after entering Mergeide.reg into the registry.  It didn't work If   I just entered  Mergeide.reg and used the restart command)

The first thing I noticed is my 9200 seems faster with ATA detect.  I also noticed that disk accesses are less during surfing the web.  The big test was stitching a 800MB panorama, running photoshop CS3 and surfing the web at the same time.....thus far NO Iastor Errors.

Hopefully this last step of changing my bios to ATA detect works.  Thanks to all who have posted their experiences and solutions for this unacceptable problem.  I
0 Kudos