glhutton
1 Copper

New Hard Drive installed. Need Windows 7 Install disc

Jump to solution

Hi

The HD failed in my dell inspiron laptop.  I purchased a new HD and now need to install windows 7.  Is this available as a download from the Dell support site. ??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

RE: New Hard Drive installed. Need Windows 7 Install disc

Jump to solution

No Microsoft removed the Digital River Downloads for Windows 7 and replaced them with a Microsoft Software Recovery Tool which blocks Dell OEM licenses.

If you have warranty, contact Dell Technical Support for a Reinstallation DVD/Recovery USB.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
glhutton
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the response. The warranty is expired, so does that mean Dell will not provide a recovery option for me ?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

You can try to call, I don't know what Dells stance is on out of warranty Windows 7 Reinstallation Media now that it is two Windows Editions behind....

Microsoft currently require an upgrade install to activate and will send you to Dell for an activation issue on a direct clean install.

If you can get the Windows 10130 .iso I'd advise using it as a stepping stone to get your free Windows 10 upgrade:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos