Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2008 18:00

New Laptop Question

Hello,

I am now the proud owner of a Dell 1420 laptop! I have a few questions--the first is very general. Is there anything I can do with my brand new computer to help it to run speedily now as well as for a long time? I have read guides like this:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...postcount=1291
which tell you how to do a clean install, etc in order to be rid of bloatware. Is this a worthwhile thing?

Secondly, here is a list of the programs listed as running on my computer--can I/should I delete any of them? I am not really interested in providing information to Dell about my system, particularly if it's going to slow me down.  (no offense to Dell intended!)

adove falsh player active X
advanced audio fx engine
advanced video fx engine
broadcom management programs
browser address error redirector (from Dell)
dell dock
dell getting started guide
dell support center
dell webcam center
dell webcam manager
digital line detect
edocs
go to assistant 8.0.0.514
live! cam avatar creator
live! cam avatar v.1.0
microsoft office power point viewer (this one it won't let me uninstall :()
modem diagnostic tool
netwaiting
outlookaddinsetup
quickset (from Dell)
roxio creator DE

Last question--any settings I should tweak on Vista? I know I would like to minimize the amount of system restores, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

1.3K Posts

June 26th, 2008 19:00

Personally I would not re-load the laptop unless you need too.    You can remove any program you do not want from the Remove program option in the control panel.    May be good to make sure you have all the recent Windows update and SP1 installed.     Dell drivers sometimes may be out of date from what posted on the line.   

Good luck with your new laptop.

No Events found!