Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

February 4th, 2008 19:00

New XPS420 - what are these items in programs & features?

Hi. My new XPS420 came on Saturday.  There are a few items in the programs & features listing that I don't know what they are/what purpose they serve/do I need them?  Can anyone help?

Broser address error redirector

SupportSoft Assisted Service

I have already uninstalled Dell Support and the launchers that were in the start menu folder "Dell Software & Utilities".  Do I need to keep the Bantec Service Agreement on the computer?  Also same question about the User Guides?  (I have the book that came with the computer.)  Just found a folder on the HD called Dell that has a sub folder for Docs (it has a bunch of stuff in it along with edocs.exe which I just ran and it's the Dell document viewer).  Would this folder be deleted if I uninstall the user guides or is it something else?

Also I see an E-center folder and a Welcome Center folder under the Dell folder.  The E-center folder had something about the Google toolbar which I have uninstalled along with the Google desktop.  Can I delete these folders or is there something in the programs & features that removes them?

I just keep coming up with more questions.  There is also a doctemp folder.  What is this?  Another folder called $$DeleteMe.$$DeleteMe etc is listed with nothing in it (unless they are hidden files)??

Thanks in advance for any help,

Lisa

12.7K Posts

February 4th, 2008 19:00

Check programs and features list (add/remove programs) for these, remove them.

Google AFE
Browser Address Error Redirector, or BAE, or BAE.DLL
CBrowserHelperObject
URL Assistant
redirector
AFE
assistant

or any combination of these descriptions. These are considered spyware, a collaboration between Dell and Google to spy on you.

http://blog.opendns.com/2007/05/22/google-turns-the-page/

http://searchengineland.com/070523-083042.php

February 5th, 2008 14:00

Hi mombodog,

Thanks.  The only one listed was the Browser Address Error Redirector.  I had no idea what purpose it served.

Sure hope somoene else has some other answers for the other items in question.

Thanks,

Lisa

@mombodog wrote:

Check programs and features list (add/remove programs) for these, remove them.

Google AFE
Browser Address Error Redirector, or BAE, or BAE.DLL
CBrowserHelperObject
URL Assistant
redirector
AFE
assistant

No Events found!