Highlighted
Not applicable

New computer, new to Windows 7. Can I disable the password feature on the start up screen?

Jump to solution

I recently set up my new Dell Inspiron 660 with Windows 7; my wife and I are the only ones who use this computer. Rather than have to enter a password each time we want to use the computer I was wondering if there is a way to disable this feature so we can simply turn the computer on and use it; no need to enter the password.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: New computer, new to Windows 7. Can I disable the password feature on the start up screen?

Jump to solution

Yes you can.

Type netplwiz in the Run box. Then un-click the box in front of "User must enter a password....". After pressing Apply you will be asked to enter your password.

Next go to Power Options. At the left side of the screen should be "Require a password on wakeup. Select this and make the changes and you are good to go.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: New computer, new to Windows 7. Can I disable the password feature on the start up screen?

Jump to solution

Yes you can.

Type netplwiz in the Run box. Then un-click the box in front of "User must enter a password....". After pressing Apply you will be asked to enter your password.

Next go to Power Options. At the left side of the screen should be "Require a password on wakeup. Select this and make the changes and you are good to go.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the quick response. Directions were easy to follow and fixed the problem.

0 Kudos