Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2009 13:00

No ipconfig output

I was able to connect to the internet, and then within a few minutes, I was unable to connect.  As part of my efforts to troubleshoot the problem, I ran ipconfig and got an ip address of 169.x.x.x instead of 192.x.x.x when it was working properly.  After that, ipconfig was throwing an error.  Now, when I run ipconfig, I get the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim.JIM-9DED6E4F3B5>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

with no ip info.

My computer is connected to a DSL modem.  The operating sytem is Windows XP, Home Edition.

Any ideas what I might try?

Jhanks, J

14.4K Posts

January 14th, 2009 14:00

open device manager and look at the listing for the network adapter. Make sure that there is no ! or X next to it.

Then power down everthing. unplug the modem for about 5 mins. then plug it back in wait another 5 mins and then turn on the system.  If you still do not connect post your ipconfig log. do not edit it as it makes no big deal about the ip addresses.

27 Posts

January 14th, 2009 21:00

Hi jwaf01 ,

Have you try these?

1. Restart the modem

2. Reset the modem if problem persist and there is a switch to reset it.

BTW, you have more than 2 computers at home? How do you configure the network?

Could you briefly describe how the network is setup at home?

Regards,

mybesteffort - 5%

4 Posts

January 14th, 2009 21:00

My DSL modem can connect to a USB port or to an Ethernet port.  I followed the procedure you suggested above for both scenarios with the following results:

USB Port:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.7.59
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet:

Windows IP Configuration
(nothing else shown below "Windows IP Configuration")

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

14.4K Posts

January 15th, 2009 04:00

Are you getting to the internet when on the USB?  From the looks of the ipconfig it appear you are not. The ethernet is to be expected if the adapter is not  working.

Follow the advice above to try  and reset the modem. It looks like at this moment that the Modem might be bad.

1.7K Posts

January 15th, 2009 11:00

In addition to Dave's suggestions, I noticed that it lists a Local Area Connection 9.  How what icons are listed in the Network Connections (XP) or Network Connection Center > Manage Network Connections (Vista) window?  You should have one icon for each network adapter (the USB would count as an adapter), which for most systems is at most 2 or maybe 3 (e.g., Local Area Connection (wired), Wireless Network Connection (wireless) and possibly a third entry created by your ISP software that usually isn't actually needed unless you use PPPoE or something similar to connect).

39 Posts

January 15th, 2009 11:00

If you are connecting via wireless, make sure your radio is on. When you get no info, your system "sees" no configured adapter. When you get the 169 address, it is set to assign your address automatically, but can't find the equipment which does that (DHCP server) Usually, this is the address of your modem, but not always. If you have talked to your ISP, things seem to be set up properly, and you still can't connect, try using each of these static address as your alternate 192.168.1.95, 192.168.105, 192.168.1.205. Since these are in the private IP address range, your DSL modem or a server at your ISP is exchanging the address for a public one (NAT).

Start by talking to your ISP to see what settings you should be using! As Dell-Larry R indicated, ISPs who use PPPoE (which is likely with DSL) can sometimes use DHCP and sometimes you are assigned a static address. If they assign you one static address, and you want to use multiple computers, you need to set up your DSL modem with that. If it doesn't have that capability, you can add a router, or use ICS (see help menu).

4 Posts

January 16th, 2009 06:00

I tried this, but it did not work.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2009 06:00

I wanted to clarify how the computers I am using are connected to the internet.  Computer A was connected to the DSL modem with a cable using either the Ethernet or USB connecter.  There had been times in the past where one, but not the other worked.  A few days ago, neither one worked.  I then connected another computer, Computer B, to the DSL modem with a cable to the Ethernet connector, and got a connection to the internet immediately.  So at any point in time, either Computer A, which is not connecting to the internet, or Computer B, which does successfully connect to the Internet, is connected to the DSL modem with a cable.  I am not attempting to connect to the modem with wireless.

39 Posts

January 16th, 2009 07:00

Okay, would you list the DSL modem manufacturer and model (if that's allowed)? Do I understand that there are three ports: RJ11(phone), RJ45(Ethernet), and USB. The ultimate goal is to connect both computers simultaneously. Is this correct? Also, please open a command window in each computer and type the following: ping 127.0.0.1 this test can be done with or without a physical connection to the DSL modem; it will test the functionality of you network adapters (should be 0% loss).

14.4K Posts

January 16th, 2009 08:00

The modem has to work properly or the B computer would have the same issues.

On the A computer turn off all firewalls/av and try.

Also try booting into SafeMode with Network support and see if it will connect then. Remember to do a system reset each time you switch the connections.

No Events found!