Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2011 11:00

No need to key in product key during windows 7 reinstallation?

I ordered dell reinstallation cd last last few months to reinstall my windows.
Yet,during the installation,it didn't asked me to key in the product key. I thought it will ask for my product key. Is my windows activated?Sry for my stupid question. Thx

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 27th, 2011 11:00

Check to see if Windows is activated by right-clicking on Computer and going to Properties.  At the bottom (you may need to scroll), under the section Windows Activation, it will tell you if Windows is activated or not.

OEM installation disks often use a self/auto-activation mechanism that bypasses the need to enter your Product Key.

6 Posts

July 27th, 2011 13:00

Thx for the reply

Yea,written windows is activated.

By the way,what is OEM installation disc?auto-activation mechanisms?

Does it used my windows product key(sticker under my laptop) to activate the windows?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 27th, 2011 13:00

OEM refers to a disounted version of the software when purchased pre-installed on a machine (OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer - are companies like Dell, HP, and Acer that build PC's and pre-install Windows on them).  Most OEM installation disks have a generic Product Key that is automatically activated on installation.  This means that the Key used to activate - if you were to pull it out using third-party software - it would not match the Key on the sticker on your computer.  The actual Key used to activate is not important, as the sticker on the side of your computer is your license - your right to use the software.

6 Posts

July 28th, 2011 13:00

Thank for the explanation,i really appreciated it.

One more question,is it possible to lend my dell os reinstallation cd to my friend,which his laptop is not a dell?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2011 08:00

You can use an OEM disc to install windows.  HOWEVER it will not be activated and will require a key.

The Key cannot be used on more than 1 machine.

Microsoft Does sell a family pack in an orange box that allows 3 installs.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Family/d...

http://www.bestbuytostore.com/images/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-Family-Pack.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 30th, 2011 23:00

I have heard stories that contradict this, but in MOST cases ... no, the Dell DVD will work in a non-Dell computer.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 31st, 2011 08:00

Wow ... I'm usually very careful about the typos, but missed a big one here.  I MEANT to say "the Dell DVD will NOT work in a non-Dell computer".  Sorry.

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 07:00

Hi speedstep,i do used an OEM disc to install windows,but it didnt ask me for key,and it acivated by itself

No Events found!