Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2011 11:00

No numeric keypad on laptop

Hi everyone,

well, I recently bought an Inspiron N4010 and realized -too late- that it has no numeric keypad. I ain't sure that's the name to my issue so let my explain: Most laptops usually have blue numbers over the j,k,l and u,i,o keys as well as over the 7,8 & 9 numbers. This numbers are used by pressing Fn + the letter. I think you can also reach this numbers by pressing NumLock and then the letters. Well, my laptop has no blue numbers on the keyboard (actually the only blue keys at all are F1 to F12) and has no NumLock key either.

Disadvantages?:

1. Well, alt+# codes do not work.

2. It makes it hard, exhausting and slow when I try to work and type several numbers for accounting, maths, etc.

Then, my question is:

Is there any way to modify my laptop's keyboard driver in order to make it work as if it had the blue numbers on it??

Additional info:

I've been trying to reach Dell Support, however as I didn't purchase my laptop on the US it has been impossible. Can't even send anybody on DellSupport an email :emotion-7:. Also, there's no online Chat Support for my country.

If someone knows how to solve my issue, I’ll really appreciate your responds.

If not, I'll also appreciate if you can reach DellSupport for me.

Thanks a lot.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

February 5th, 2011 12:00

2 Posts

February 5th, 2011 15:00

Well, first of all.. Thank you very much for such a promt reply!!

I was very excited as I downloaded Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator as I thought it would do it. However, MSKLC does not allow me to configure the Fn key. Searched for a while to see if I could find any other similar program that did, but didn't really find any (if you know any, please let me know). I also thought about using Ctrl+Alt+key as an alternative solution, however some programs, such as Microsoft Word, already have some shortcuts assigned to commands such as Ctrl+Alt+I which - I suppose - will lead to some conflicts.

Any other options??

In advance, thanks for your help!

371 Posts

February 5th, 2011 16:00

How about an external solution?

http://www.amazon.com/Numeric-Keypad-Laptops-Manufacturer-CL-USB-NUMSPC/dp/B002C8B1RO

I'm not recommending that particular one just a reference.

D

No Events found!