Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 03:00

No "repair your computer" after F8 in XPS m1330

I need to restore my factory default system (My XPS shipped with vista business).

After hitting F8 during boot I have several options but no "repair your comptuer". Maybe it is because I installed Ubuntu as a second system (I didn't check if the option was there before installing Ubuntu).

The second fact is that since couple of weeks ago when I access "my computer" in windows I see two additional partitions that weren't visible before: it is d:(RECOVERY) and F:(MEDIADIRECT). To be frank it was after I accidently spilled a cup of espresso onto the keyboard - after cleaning and drying the hardware computer works almost perfectly but has this two partitions and "hibernate" option doesn't work. I googled a bit and found that Dell uses MS imagex software to do the recovery.

On the "recovery" partition I found an image "factory.wim" but have no idea how to apply the image. The imagex software is there also but it doesn't work from windows. There is also a program "PCrestore.exe" but it doesn't work from inside windows...

Should I make a bootable pendrive and try the imagex from DOS? Or maybe there is some other option?

Thanks for any suggestions.

podles

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 04:00

If you're willing to learn imagex (it's not a trivial exercise) you can do that- but you'll still have to manually reconstruct the boot sector on the drive if you want that feature.

It may be easier to manually install Windows from the Vista DVD.

If you don't have one and are in the US,

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 04:00

Many thanks for prompt reply.

I have the DVD and tried already to reinstall it manually but the installer died unexpectadly shortly after the start with an errorcode 0xE0000100.

I googled it and it has something to do with partition size. I'm considering wipeing whole disk but this is longer process and would like to avoid that if it is possible. 

Am I correct that if had restore the partition by imagex I could give it new MBR using for instance using UBUNTU's GRUB?

Best regards,

podles

No Events found!