Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2006 15:00

No tick timer interrpt

Hi,

This started with a blue screen error, fix that with reinstalling Windows XP . It asked for Service Pack 2 disk. "Missing asmi file "or something like that.  Cd and Dvd did not work  Try to troubleshoot it by trying to use Win 98 to fix it and now I am here with a 4-2-1 beep code and a "no timer tick interrupt" error message immediatly after boot up . I would greatly appreaciate any help any one can offer. 

Jacs17

18.8K Posts

January 6th, 2006 15:00

Jacs17,

If the missing file was asms you might take a look at this thread.

How did you attempt to repair the problem with Windows 98? What is the model of your computer and what version of XP is installed (and on your reinstallation CD)?

5 Posts

January 6th, 2006 19:00

It is a Dell Dimensions 4600 . On one of the support pages it said to copy Smartdrv and xcopy from win98 to c:. I tried to follow this link:

I copied some of the files and had to reboot cause only two files copied  Smartdrv.exe and tools\oldmsdos\xcopy*.* 

When I rebooted, I am now at " No timer tick interrupt".  How do I get past this ,the computer freeze up after only 3 to 4 seconds. I get 4-2-1 beep code.

Thanks
    Jacs17

5 Posts

January 6th, 2006 20:00

Thanks for answering my question so fast .  I am now stuck in the boot mode with No tick timer interrupt . What should I do ? I am totally stuck here .  Is there any way to get past this error ? Do I have to get a new hard drive ???? I have no clue what to do? Thanks again!

18.8K Posts

January 6th, 2006 20:00

Jacs17,

Is your hard drive formatted with the FAT32 file system? If not, you should have used the procedures for a hard disk formatted with NTFS.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2006 22:00

I was unsure if it was FAT32 or NTFS . I followed the link above and I chose wrong . Now I am going to make a start up disk. Thank you. Now I have learned a lesson ,dont guess.  Thanks

2.9K Posts

January 6th, 2006 22:00

Jacs17,

Beep codes and Diagnostic LEDs for the 4600 are defined here:  

Why are you using the Win98 boot disk?  Isn't your 4600 an NTFS system?  The link you visited gave recommendations for both the FAT32 and NTFS file systems.  I've seen a few  FAT32 Windows XP systems.  Procedure to create a WinXP boot disk using WinXP or Win98 is here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/#XSLTH3134121122120121120120

Tony

5 Posts

January 7th, 2006 21:00

Still no luck any other suggestions . No tick timer interrpt is still the only thing I get.

2.9K Posts

January 8th, 2006 15:00

Jacs17,

A search of Dell regarding "no tick timer interrupt" and beep code of 4-2-1 is this reference to a Dell PowrEdge 1550 and PowerApp 120: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Google and MSN searches returned the same basic advice: Replace/troubleshoot the motherboard.  I rarely follow such simplistic advice straight away. This advice is cost-effective troubleshooting for servers, but not for home systems.   I recommend you do the following.  Remove all power to your 4600 and attached devices.  Now, press the power button. You most likely will see the power LED flash on and back off.  Do this a couple of times, 5 or so minutes apart.  Reconnect the power cord.  Power your system back up and see if you get the same error.  If so, shut down everything again. Remove all power again.  Press power button again.  Open cabinet.  Disconnect power supply connector to motherboard.  Remove CMOS battery.  Press power button.  Remove Memory. Press power button.  Drink a Coke.  Reinstall memory. Reinstall CMOS battery. Reconnect motherboard power supply connector.  Close cabinet.  Reconnect power cord. Power up again.  Go into CMOS setup and set date/time, etc. Reboot. If error recurs, you may need to leave the power off longer.  Reason for this procedure:  Electromagnetic and Static pulses can and do cause motherboards to enter undefined states and act as if they've died.  I have "resurrected" motherboards through this simple procedure.  Let us know how you fare. Once the "no tick timer interrupt" problem is solved, one of us here can help you with the "asms file not found" problem.

Tony

Message Edited by tgsmith on 01-08-2006 12:20 PM

1 Message

August 21st, 2014 23:00

remove the bios chip and also remove the bios battery and enjoy to use the pc os worked.

and chill and drink some energy drink.

No Events found!