Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2006 10:00

Non original Windows preinstalled on my Dell!

Hi,
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 640m directly from Dell (online shop).

While checking the specs I just discovered that:
a) The Windows Xp pre-installed on this laptop has a different serial number/product key than the one reported on the stiker at the back of the notebook (authenticity label).
b) The label itself does not seem perfect. It looks like parts of it are stripped
c) The chassis of this Dell seems to have been used. In fact it has an Intel processor logo which is different from the processor I purchased (it shows Intel Centrino Duo logo while my Processor is Intel Intel Core 2 Duo).

I am not happy with being cheated after spending money from what I thought was a trustworthy company. What should I do? Should I report Dell for piracy?
Is it possible to get my money back? (unfortunately about 20 days passed since the delivery as I could not check the laptop any earlier)

11.9K Posts

December 5th, 2006 12:00

dom74 wrote:
Hi,
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 640m directly from Dell (online shop).

While checking the specs I just discovered that:
a) The Windows Xp pre-installed on this laptop has a different serial number/product key than the one reported on the stiker at the back of the notebook (authenticity label).
b) The label itself does not seem perfect. It looks like parts of it are stripped
c) The chassis of this Dell seems to have been used. In fact it has an Intel processor logo which is different from the processor I purchased (it shows Intel Centrino Duo logo while my Processor is Intel Intel Core 2 Duo).

I am not happy with being cheated after spending money from what I thought was a trustworthy company. What should I do? Should I report Dell for piracy?
Is it possible to get my money back? (unfortunately about 20 days passed since the delivery as I could not check the laptop any earlier)

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

a) Always been that way.

b) MS doing that to prevent removal.  Well documented.

Nope. 21 days from invoice/ship date.  No piracy was involved.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 5th, 2006 19:00

The XP product key for the installed version is Dell's OEM key used for all their XP installs. The sticker has the license key for your specific machine and will be different from what the PC reports.

As Rick said, after 21 days you can't return it. But it's always possible you didn't get the processor you ordered. But Dell should swap it for the correct hardware if they made the mistake. Contact their Customer Service by chat, email or phone:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/contact_us_options?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2

Ron

516 Posts

December 11th, 2006 01:00

dom  i read your post and i dont work in the forum at all i am a customer like you
but when i read about the possible fasle windows thing i was upset untill i read
about it   believe me dell isnt cheating anyone infact at least here they have been
nothing short of helpful
No Events found!