Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 19th, 2015 20:00

Notepad and Windows 8.1

Why do I get Notepad opening when boot my computer?

• 

16.7K Posts

January 20th, 2015 06:00

SylvQuinnsGrampy,

You can click the link below for information on running MSCONFIG anryd clicking the Startup Tab to see if notepad is loading from the startup and uncheck the box. If it is not running from the startup it could be loading from the registry.

Using MSCONFIG

How to Perform a Clean Boot In Windows

If clean boot cannot find the issue, then you may try removing the startup entry of notepad from registry.

Before we proceed, please first backup the Registry.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow these steps:

a. Press Windows key + R, type REGEDIT in the run box and press Enter.

b. Navigate to the location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run.

c. In the right pane, you will see notepad listed there, right click on it and ‘Delete’ the entry.

d. Close registry. Reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

January 20th, 2015 11:00

Hi Jesse. When I use REGEDIT the only mention of Notepad is under Microsoft - there is no mention in the right panel of "run"

No Events found!