daynalewis
1 Copper

OS running slower than normal...

I've noticed that my laptop is running a lot slower the last couple of months.  My bf uses it a lot, so I don't know if he made any systems changes or installed something weird.
I've run anti-malware programs to clean off any junk.

I did notice that in Task Manager - Processes, there is a svchost.exe running really high memory (150k-200k).  It never used to run that high in the past.  The services it's using are:

Wlansvc  - WLAN AutoConfig
WdiSystemHost - Diagnostic System Host
UxSms - Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager
TrkWks - Distributed Link Tracking Client
SysMain - Superfetch
Pca Svc - Program Compatibility Assistant Service
Netman - Network Connections
HomeGroupListener - HomeGroup Listener
AudioEndpointBuilder - Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

I'm not very computer savvy, so please be gentle! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WinOutreach6
1 Nickel

RE: OS running slower than normal...

daynalewis,

The simplest way to fix your problem is to do a system restore. What this means is that you can restore your computer back to a point in time before this issue came up. The How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC page provides detailed information on how to do this.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

0 Kudos
daynalewis
1 Copper

Hi Mike,
Is there a different way to try and resolve this issue without doing a system restore?  There are programs that have been installed that have been customized and if I do a system restore, then these will need to be reinstalled and a lot of stuff will be lost.

Thanks,
Dayna

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The services are some of the essential services that is needed for functioning of Windows. WLAN AutoConfig is a service needed for WLAN (WiFi) connectivity. If you're using wired network only and that you don't need WLAN, you can disable this service. The rest of the services run at the background to maintain a good health of Windows, hence, no option of disabling.

Regarding slow performance of Windows, you can refer the following links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/performance-maintenance-help#performance-maintenance-help...  

windows.microsoft.com/.../improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Balaji Kundalam

0 Kudos
grado
1 Copper

the simplest method is using the Windows Magic Cube free software to speed up, or use the 360 windows speed up. The software will automatically disable the useless startup program and task.

Another simple method is disable the Windows auto restore function. This function will slow down your OS down after 1 month of using and OS have to reinstall after 6 months using. I use the Norton Ghost to do disk image backup instead of the windows auto store.

0 Kudos
Markwinstanley
1 Copper

You can disable search index, startup programs, clean temp files using these codes %temp%  temp prefetch. Also defragment hdd, disable starup services which you don't need.

0 Kudos