Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2006 13:00

Office 2007 on Vista crashes with 3010cn printer drivers

I have vista enterprise and I have no problems with my 3010cn printer working just fine with the drivers meant for XP. However, when I try opening Word 2007 it crashes if the 3010cn printer is set as the default printer. I have read many posting on the internet that acknowledge the problem, but no solutions were given. If I change the default printer to another available in the list, Word works just fine, but I cannot still print anything that I type in it.

I tried installing the drivers that come in Vista, but the printer will not work with any of them (as soon as I submit a job, the lcd display on the printer say Cancelling and drops the job)

Any thoughts? Thank you!

4 Posts

December 20th, 2006 13:00

Unfortunately I was told that "nobody" had Vista running yet, and that we would have to wait until it was officially released to the public in late jan. When I told them that Vista was officially deployed to businesses, they said they had no knowledge about that and that we were on our own. Great answers huh?

So we just have to wait. I have managed to install the drivers that came with the printer, not by running the installer, but by manually adding the printer and then pointing Vista to find the drivers on the cd rom. That way I have it working with everything, except office 2007. I have the beta version of it and it works just fine, so that is what I am using right now.

7 Posts

December 20th, 2006 13:00

I too have an identical problem. Doesn't matter which Office application you are using. We have a 3100CN and when you go to print the Office app crashes. If you have the 3100 set as your default printer the Office application won't even open. It will start up and then immediately crash. Did you get a resolution to this problem?

7 Posts

December 20th, 2006 14:00

Thank you very much. We have been told that by other vendors as well. I know they have MSDN subscriptions too! The majority of our people are running Vista and Office 2007. If we come up with anything I will let you know. Thank you for replying!

7 Posts

Found this on groups and tried it. It works! You have to use the Vista driver for the printer, not the Dell supplied driver. Reset up your printer on your machine and use the built in Vista driver. I set mine up as  a local printer using a TCP/IP port and it worked brilliantly! Hopefully your network will allow you to do this.
Happy Holidays!

4 Posts

Thank you very much for the tip, I tried it but Vista does not have native drivers fro 3010cn, it only has it for other models (like yours). I also tried what you mention before, but since the 3010cn does not "speak" PCL the windows drivers just don't work. Thanks anyway, and have a great holiday too!!!

1 Message

December 23rd, 2006 19:00

I am having a identical problem.  The wierd part was that excel, publisher, access, project, visio and outlook still worked only powerpoint and word were effected.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2006 12:00

Yes, those applications do actually work until you try to print your work! Unfortunalety, last I checked the drivers were still not posted. Dell told me they will only support this hardware after Vista is officially released. HP already has Vista drivers for many printer models (color laser printers included), should Dell pay attention to their competition?

4 Posts

January 27th, 2007 15:00

Same Problem
Office 2007 applications crash when trying to print to the Dell 3010cn network printer with Vista Business OS.  Other non Office 2007 applications will print to Dell 3010cn without error.

Dell has had access to Vista and Office 2007 for several months now one would think they would have offered a solution to this problem prior to the official public release of Vista.

1 Message

August 6th, 2007 21:00

I tested a printer 3010 with Windows Vista (Bussiness) and Office 2007 (Enterprise) with the dell driver and the systems works properly printing from Office.

Do any of you have the same crash with other dell printer?

No Events found!