Highlighted
pkastrup
Copper

OptiPlex 3040 - USB not found when doing System Recovery

I am not able to find the usb drive when using the system restore disk. If the system boots up it will find the usb just find and fill exists in the  root WindowsImageBackup directory on the usb. The system are brand new and 3040 model with windows 7  64 bit. It seems OptiPlex 3020 worked just fine and found the image location but all my 3040 do not find them. I talk with Dell support for 4 hours and they just though it was a bad motherboard...I said I did not think so since all of the pc I have will not find the usb during system restore.

I check the BIOS also legacy is on and rom is on. Boot order hard drive, usb. cd/dvd . I hit f12 at start up and select cd/dvd to boot where my recovery disc is. and opens fine but never sees the usb drive to find my image.

Could I load usb driver from C: drive? If so which one?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: OptiPlex 3040 - USB not found when doing System Recovery

I am confused by your post. Is the image on a USB key or CD/DVD? If USB key, you should be choosing Removable Drive, not Optical Drive?

* Restart the computer
* Press F2 to enter the BIOS setup
* Go to System Configuration
* Go to USB Configuration
* Set to All Enabled (Boot Support, Front USB Ports, Rear USB Ports)
* Insert the USB key into a USB port on the rear of the computer
* Press F10 to save and exit
* Press F12
* Choose Removable Drive

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message:
Dell Monitor Service Tag number, 20 digit S/N, A0x revision
Dell PC Service Tag number

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
pkastrup
Copper

The image is on external usb hard drive. I am using the repair disc win 64 bit to boot into when I hit F12. I choose CD to boot . While the in the Recovery Prompts, it never finds the USB to see the Image to restore to.  Maybe it needs a driver installed for the usb, but I can only see the C: drive X: drive when i go looking. i do not know where or the name of the driver for a seagate free agent external hard drive. maybe point it to a generic Mass storage driver?

0 Kudos

The bootable image has always been on the chosen boot device. What you are doing is a multi-step process and will require additional files. The USB hard drive should have been made bootable, then the data copied onto it. Anyway, moving this to the Microsoft OS board to get their thoughts.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message:
Dell Monitor Service Tag number, 20 digit S/N, A0x revision
Dell PC Service Tag number

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
pkastrup
Copper

Well this process worked fine on the 3020 models and could see the system image on the drive. The 3040 model is where it seems to be the issue.

I found the same issue described here:

www.sevenforums.com/.../195068-problem-recoverying-backup-via-usb-3-0-external-drive.html

They talk about loading the nusb3hub.inf and nusb3xhc.inf controller and drivers to get it to work. Where might I find a copy of those to try and see if it work work? Or are there different ones i need to try?

0 Kudos