Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

4 Posts

June 21st, 2018 04:00

Optiplex 7010 USFF, Windows 7 re-installation problem

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Optiplex 7010 (ultra small form factor) from Cash Converters, believing it had Windows 7 (it had the C.O.A. sticker). When I got it home I found it had Windows 10. I will not use Windows 10 until Microsoft sort out the ridiculous situation with automatic updating. 

Using my existing PC (not Dell) I visited Dell’s website, entered my Service Tag, downloaded the ISO image, and burned it to a USB stick. So far, so good, until I was not given the option of starting from the USB stick under UEFI Boot (only Internal NIC was available under UEFI Boot). The USB stick was listed under Legacy Boot, so I tried to start from there. I got as far as clicking the install button, and shortly after received the message “A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or flash drive, please insert it now”. The only place I would imagine this (and other) drivers would be is on the USB stick, which is already inserted!

Any help would be appreciated, as if I can’t get Windows 7 to reinstall I will sell the Dell PC, as I will not use Windows 10. I have removed the hard drive with Windows 10 (in case the PC needs to be returned under warranty) and used a blank one for the Windows 7 installation.

Hello Nigel4959,

This might happen if you are using the USB 3.0 ports, as Windows 7 does not natively support USB 3.0. Use the USB 2.0 ports at the rear(beside the LAN port) to install the OS.

I hope this helps.

• 

16.7K Posts

Nigel4959,

Boot into the bios and navigate to USB Configuration.  This field configures integrated USB controller. if boot support is enabled, system is allowed to boot any type of USB mass storage devices (hdd, memory key, floppy). USB-aware os always see USB mass storage devices irrespective of this setting, provided the port is enabled.
if USB port is enabled, device attached to this port is enabled and available for os
if USB port is disabled, os can't see any device attached to this port.

• enable boot support
  • enable rear USB ports
  • enable front USB ports
  • enable USB3 ports

note:
USB keyboard and mouse always work in the BIOS setup irrespective of these settings.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2018 05:00

Thanks for your replies.

I have already tried plugging the USB stick into the ports at the back, as I read about this elsewhere on this forum. 

I will try the USB configuration later.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2018 11:00

@Nigel4959 wrote:

I will not use Windows 10 until Microsoft sort out the ridiculous situation with automatic updating. 

I suggest you use Windows-10. Why do you want your Windows-10 installation to fall out-of-date and missing patches?

Windows-7 is obsolete. Microsoft hasn't touched that code in many years.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2018 11:00

You will have to have SECURE BOOT OFF and LEGACY CSM ON.

The specific issue you have is known.

You will have to use a SKYLAKE DVD

JAN 2016 SKYLAKEJAN 2016 SKYLAKE

Updating the system BIOS or changing the USB port for the installation media has no effect on the issue.

This issue occurs because systems with the Intel Skylake or Braswell Chipset do not have USB 2.0. All ports are USB 3.0 and the Windows 7 installation USB media does not contain the required drivers to install Windows 7 on the affected system.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300564/

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/how11493/

You will have to boot from the usb flash drive with sata operation set to ATA instead of AHCI or you will REQUIRE F6 drivers before you can install.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02262891M/1/7010-win7-A07-1RRT9.CAB

You will have to extract all the files from the cab with 7zip and save that to the root of a flash drive that is also your installer.

Thats why newer models like this have a specific 2016 windows 7 build.

“A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." However indicates a corrupted install media. The problem caused because the USB drive is not recognized by Windows PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment ). Windows PE is built on Windows 7 kernel and is used to prepare a computer for Windows installation.  Windows 7 install media doesn’t have native support for USB3.0 so you will have to choose a 2.0 port.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/952951

missing.png

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 05:00

Thanks everyone for your input. I have now ordered a recovery disc. This is the first Dell PC I have owned, and I am quite impressed that you can download an image for recovery (if only it would work, or you could burn it on to a couple of DVDs!). I wish Acer did the same thing. 

With regards to the comments about me not wanting to use Windows 10. I feel Microsoft have scored a massive own goal with the policy of automatic updating. I understand the importance of updates, I would just like to download/install them when I decide, and not have my computer grind to a virtual halt when I’m trying to do something. I took advantage of the Windows 10 free upgrade on my laptop, which was running Windows 7, which I now regret. I also own a MacBook, and Microsoft could learn from Apple with regards to updating. You are notified about Apple updates only when on mains power, and you decide when to download/install, and when you do update it’s pretty quick. Interesting to note that ten years ago hardly anyone had a Mac, now loads of people have them. I have had Windows since 3.1, and have used every version except Millennium Edition and Windows 8. XP was my favourite, perhaps they should have stayed with that.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 19:00

@Nigel4959 wrote:

1. With regards to the comments about me not wanting to use Windows 10. I took advantage of the Windows 10 free upgrade on my laptop, which was running Windows 7, which I now regret.

2. I understand the importance of updates, I would just like to download/install them when I decide,

3. and not have my computer grind to a virtual halt when I’m trying to do something.

1. Both Apple and Microsoft want everyone running their current OS, or maybe just ONE version back if you must. They both do things to make that happen.

2. Many Windows users would NEVER update anything. Then they wonder how the got infected, vulnerability targeted or why software incompatibly problems creep-up. Ever try to get one of these neglected systems "cleaned and caught-back-up" ? It's not easy or quick. Same for Macs. And for either ... once the integrity of the OS has been breached ... well, you are looking at a Nuke-and-Pave. 

And just try the keep your iPhone or iPad on an old (2 versions behind) iOS. It's a good thing you can't and Apple is smart. Microsoft is just trying to make Windows a reliable (always updated) platform for their Windows service. 

3. When does that happen ?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 27th, 2018 07:00

WINDOWS update CANNOT BE DISABLED in 10.

Here’s the official line:

“The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

In short: Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates and you have no option to switch them off.

I do not agree with this so for some systems I run windows 7.

Apple recommends OS updates but does not FORCE them on you.

I am perfectly fine with my 2012 macbook pro running Sierra not High Sierra.

Windows 10’s forced self destruct black screen blinking cursor automatic updates don’t simply cover security patches, they cover anything and everything Microsoft wants to put on your PC as part of Windows 10. This can range from new software and services to changes to core features and functionality.

For example: if Microsoft wants to build a new media player, RSS reader, mapping software, cookbook, spyware, keylogging into the core of Windows 10 it can and you have to install it. If an update also changes how a feature or service operates to a way you dislike (say a new user interface), then tough you have to accept that as well.

Cortana listens to your converstations as well as watches all your inking and typing and sends this back to the mothership. Microsoft's EULA service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length.

Buried in there is "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."Cortana proves problematic because it has access to your camera and microphone, and more importantly, it has access to your contacts, calendar, printing, and probably all of your documents. There is other potential for exploitation. A Microsoft account is mandatory for many services, including Skype.  So keylogging,  listening, and spying is called typing, speech, and inking aka anything you print. There is no way to remove or otherwise take out cortana.  I physically remove or put black tape over cameras and disconnect microphones.  Printing is done on a non windows machine offline.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-speech-inking-typing-and-privacy-faq

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 27th, 2018 11:00

Your Installation Media is corrupt...

Ensure you download the Dell Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation Skylake .iso (Do Not Use the Dell OS Recovery Tool to make the Bootable USB). Use Rufus to check, the checksums of the .iso and to make the USB for a UEFI Boot. See the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-dell-skylake-windows-7/

N.B. the Dell Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation .iso contains USB and Storage Controller drivers for up to 6th generation Intel systems so you are fine to use USB ports although I have found on the OptiPlex 7010 it is more reliable to use the back ports, for keyboard, mouse and Bootable USB.

4 Posts

July 4th, 2018 05:00

I've finally got it sorted, but I had to get a recovery disc to do it. Once Windows 7 was up and running, one of the first things I did was change the settings in Windows Update to "Notify but don't download or install". Once I know about updates I always allow them when I've finished for the day.

I contacted Cash Converters, through their Twitter feed, about their policy of installing Windows 10 on any computer they sell. They informed me that it's not company policy, but a local decision. I would suggest if anyone is buying a computer off them, who doesn't want Windows 10, that they ask to see the computer up and running. This is straight forward for laptops, but they won't like it for desktops. Too bad!

Some interesting points about Windows 10 on here. Perhaps they're doing this because fewer people are using Internet Explorer (I use Google Chrome) so they have to find another way of tracking you. I made the mistake of upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 a couple of years ago, which I now regret. I don't use Cortana after it asked for permission to access my microphone (I don't talk to Siri either, I'd rather type than talk, but Cortana won't have that).

No Events found!