Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2008 08:00

Optiplex 760 AHCI Imaging Problem

I'm having a problem imaging our new Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode.  I can image the workstation when I set the HD to ATA mode in the BIOS.  I can also set the BIOS back to AHCI mode after imaging (of course, I update the following devices with the newest driver.)

What happens is the following:

1. With the BIOS set to AHCI mode, I boot the machine from a Bart's PE USB drive.
  2. I run ghost and image the machine with XPSP3 that includes all of the drivers needed.
  3. Reboot the machine and the Windows logo with the blue status bar appears.
  4. The machine freezes, and reboots itself into the safe mode selection screen.

What I have found so far is that the following devices are new for this system: (I think these are the culprit)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106

I have edited our sysprep.inf file to include the following in the [SysprepMassStorage] section:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5029&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\old\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\massstorage\iastor.inf

The location c:\sysprep\massstorage folder contains the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers.  I've tried the one on Dell's website (Version 8.5.0.1032, A15) for the 760 (Windows XP) and I've also tried the newest driver directly from Intel.  The location c:\sysprep\massstorage\old refers to the previous device drivers for devices that aren't included in the new driver.  This allows us to image all of the devices we currently have from Dell (D400-D430, D600-D630, D800-D830, E4200, E4300, E6400, E6500, Optiplex SX & GX 270, 280, 620, 745, 755 and now 760.)  All of the devices that I listed except the Optiplex 760 are currently imaging fine in AHCI mode (where applicable and ATA mode where not.)  We use Bart's PE as our boot environment and I can boot fine in AHCI mode.

I assume my problem is I'm either not listing a device in the [SysprepMassStorage] section of sysprep.inf...

OR

In the newest Matrix Storage Manager, the iaStor.inf and iaAHCI.inf have the following in the [ControlFlags] section: ExcludeFromSelect=*

I think previous versions of this driver have had a specific list of devices in the list, this one has all devices, hence the "*".

**UPDATE: The ControlFlags section does not impact this issue, it merely removes the device listing from certain user interface displays.  My bad.

Please feel free to post any/all thoughts as I need to have this resolved ASAP.

Thanks!

Ben

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 14:00

@Bcamball3 - I'm also working on this same issue.  I'm not using BartPE however.  I'll post up any new informaton.  Unless ofcourse, you've managed to figure it out already...  :)

-Joe

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

Turns out that I just had the incorrect pnp id pointing to the wrong inf file.  Hope you figured out your problem. :)

7 Posts

March 13th, 2009 10:00

The point made by ripht is absolutely essential.

The other essential point about using the [SysprepMassStorage] section of sysprep.inf is as follows:

- Any changes or new lines added to this section will require you to re-run sysprep on your master PC image build.

--- [SysprepMassStorage] is a factory-level stage of sysprep, so you can't just edit the sysprep.inf within the image. You MUST re-apply the updated sysprep.inf by re-running sysprep.exe -reseal [or sysprep.exe -factory] on your master PC image build.

- Note that the iaahci.inf driver from the Optiplex 760 Dell download also supports the pnpids for all AHCI-mode Latitude E-Series laptops.

- Note that the iastor.inf driver from the Optiplex 760 Dell download also supports the pnpids for all IRRT-mode Latitude E-Series laptops.

- Intel Rapid Restore Technology (IRRT) = RAID mode.

5 Posts

March 18th, 2009 15:00

What software do you use?  And what settings do you need to change?  Any info appreciated.

Bill@lltc

5 Posts

March 18th, 2009 15:00

I am also encountering this same issue.  I am using DeskAuthority to create and deploy my images.  This is the first time I have ran into this problem.  I can also switch between ATA (which I had to change to install XP) and AHCI but this makes no difference.  What about the BIOS settings for ImageServer?  Any ideas?

bill.fred 

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 21:00

I'm also having the same issue as the OP.

I have added the new AHCI drivers to the Sysprep Mass Storage section, I then ran sysprep -mini -reseal and took an image of the computer. I deployed the image to one of the new Optiplex 760s and when it is in AHCI mode Windows will not boot. I have tried using the drivers from the dell site as well as the latest ones directly from Intel with the same results.

If I revert to ATA mode Windows boots fine however this is not desirable as we have 50 Optiplex 760s and I'm not going to manually change each one. I have other models which come in AHCI mode which I have been able to image without issues, so I am assuming the problem is related to the Optiplex 760's drivers, or I am also missing a device in the mass storage section (though I have triple checked...)

If anyone has any ideas I would be very appreciative.

Here are the extracts from sysprep.inf which are relevent.

[Unattended]
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    ExtendOemPartition=0
    OEMSkipEula=Yes
    ConfirmHardware=No
    OverwriteOEMFilesOnupgrade=No
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

[Sysprep]
    BuildMassStorageSection=No

[SysprepMassStorage]
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iastor.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf

Thanks,

Dave

7 Posts

March 24th, 2009 12:00

I worked with a Dell engineer for some time on this issue.  We did not find a solution to the problem.  The problem is most likely that Dell installs a lot of "system software" as part of their standard image.  If I use the image provided by Dell for this machine, it does actually work in AHCI mode.  I have not been able to isolate what is and is not present.  Frankly, I reached my limit on time I was willing to spend on this issue.  We have the workstations shipped in ATA mode and they work fine.  It's extremely annoying to me, but it is what it is.  We're facing the sunset of Windows XP as a standard image in the near term.  I am willing to live with this shortcoming until we deploy Windows 7.  As an IT geek I HATE to let something like this go, but I have bigger problems than this AHCI/ATA driver issue.

To directly address what you are and are not doing, Dave:  I think you're doing everything right.  This is the process that has always worked for me.  I've done Dell imaging in this way for the last three and a half years (since I took over imaging for my company.)  In fact, I did a buildmassstoragesection command too.  This rebuilt the system's SysprepMassStorage section to which I added the exact above lines.  It just doesn't want to work in AHCI mode.  I expect people using different imaging methodology to have different results.  I see some people that are not using the typical sysprep/ghost method were able to make their images work in AHCI.  Lucky you if it works!!  I kind of feel as if I'm not being helped to push me towards vendor imaging.  Unfortunately, there is a cost to vendor-side imaging.  Increased cost is not something my organization can afford at this point!!

So, sorry to say, but I gave up.  I've had other sticking points aside from the AHCI imaging problem.  As Dell adds more and more drivers to their workstations, imaging becomes more difficult.  When new models are released (at least for the Latitude and Optiplex series) drivers fall through the cracks.  New drivers sometime take far too long to get on Dell's website.  I have typically been opening up the Dell case and finding out who makes what hardware.  Then, I go to the manufacturer's website and download directly from them.  I've had better results with the newest drivers... especially chipsets, video and network.  Wireless has been notoriously bad lately.  We've switched wireless hardware Intel after a plethora of Broadcom issues.  Basically, I'm just out of patience!

Feel free to contact me if you want more info!!

4 Posts

March 24th, 2009 15:00

Thanks for the info Ben! Not what I wanted to hear but atleast you've saved me from spending any more time on this. :)

Cheers,

Dave

16 Posts

April 8th, 2009 11:00

I'm struggling with this too. Seems to be a fair few people out there experiencing the same issue, but no one has it resolved yet.

I have a similar section in my sysprep.inf :

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iaahci.inf

I've tried changing this to:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\drivers\sata\optiplex760\iastor.inf

(changing the .inf file referenced for that device ID)

...but it makes no difference. I'm fairly sure the problem is due to the controller with the 3A02 device ID. This is because after I apply my workaround the remaining SATA controller reports this ID.

Anyway, here's my workaround:

1) Image the 760, then before booting XP for the first time change the SATA mode in the BIOS to ATA rather then AHCI

2) Boot Windows, let it run through till you see the desktop. Now use device manager to locate the "Primary IDE Controller" that isn't recognised as an Intel device.

3) Force the driver to update to "ICH10D/D0 AHCI Controller" by pointing it at your Intel Text Mode driver folder, then reboot.

4) Change the SATA mode back to AHCI in the BIOS then let Windows boot back up.

Your SATA controller is now running in AHCI mode.

I'd really like to see a proper fix for this. Looks like the issue lies with the Intel driver for the ICH10 - does anyone know if this works when setting up XP from a CD and pressing F6 to installt the controller?

Tom

7 Posts

April 8th, 2009 11:00

I'm not sure about the F6 part... but that is a good idea.  You've described the exact reason I posted this in the first place!

Dell has yet to comment on this....

4 Posts

April 8th, 2009 17:00

I was able to install XP fine using F6 during setup. You just need to make sure you choose the correct driver obviously.

I ended up logging a call on the issue. A few Dell engineers looked at it and their advise was to include the "OEMDriversPath" line in sysprep.inf file. (Previously I was manually entering the paths into HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath so as to avoid the 4096 character limit in sysprep.inf). At the same time that I added the OEMDriversPath line I also had rolled back to an earlier version of my image due to another issue (I had noticed that one of the devices in device manager was showing a resource conflict - the ISAPNP Read Data Port)

Initially I thought that adding the OEMDriversPath line had fixed the issue, but that made no sense, so I then re-created the image using my old method of just using the DevicePath registry key, and it still worked - I was able to image an Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode without any problems.

All that I can conclude from this is that there was probably something wrong with my image which was fixed when I rolled back to an older version of the image.

My advise would be to look in device manager on the machine you are creating your image from and check for anything odd. Also try using the OEMDriversPath line if you aren't already, just incase, though I doubt this is the problem.

Here's the relevent lines in my sysprep.inf so you can see a version that DOES WORK. The iaAHCI.inf file referenced is version 8.8.0.1009 of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver.

[Unattended]
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    ExtendOemPartition=0
    OEMSkipEula=Yes
    ConfirmHardware=No
    OverwriteOEMFilesOnupgrade=No
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

[Sysprep]
    BuildMassStorageSection=No

[SysprepMassStorage]
    ; -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Windows drivers
    (LINES GENERATED BY RUNNING "SYSPREP.EXE -BMSD" GO HERE)
    ; Third party drivers
    ;
    ; Intel
    ;
    ; Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller / Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller / Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller / Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf

Good Luck,

Dave

16 Posts

April 9th, 2009 03:00

When you run sysprep.exe it is supposed to populate the following registry key with storage controller device ID information:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\

If everything works, a computer that's been installed from an image should have entries for all the storage controllers referenced in sysprep.inf. I checked my imaged computer and it's missing an entry - guess which one??

I've Googled up the missing information and created a registry merge file that you can apply to your image before running sysprep.exe. This is tested working as of this morning with the Intel 8.7.0.1007 driver, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the newer one too.

Here's the missing key (copy and paste into a text file and save with a .reg extension):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_3A02&CC_0106]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="iaStor"

Dave - I suspect that somehow this information has made it into your image's registry. Do you create images on an actual 760 or in a VM?

Tom

4 Posts

April 13th, 2009 18:00

Hi Tom,

I use an old Compaq Deskpro PIII 1.0Ghz :) Planning to migrate to a VM but haven't had time yet.

I did check that registry key when I was troubleshooting the issue and all looked OK in my case. I can only guess that the resource conflict was causing an issue. Good advice for others seeing this problem though.

Cheers,

Dave

2 Posts

April 27th, 2009 15:00

I had the same issues ghosting to the optiplex 760 model. Ghosting worked after the following steps.

1. Disable achi in the bios.

2. "Repair" Xp your image

3. Install the dell drivers except the intel matrix storage manager and update the bios.

4. Then do what "BobTheTerrible" suggested on the technet forums located here

Do this for both the Hard drive and the DVD-RW
"First download the SATA drivers from Dell.  Download
Copy the file onto the computer somewhere like c:\dell\drivers\?

So you turn ATA support on in the BIOS for the SATA controller.
Boot into Safe Mode.
Open Device Manager.
Find the Primary IDE Channel device (there may be 3 listed, I picked the top one)
Right click - Update driver
"No at this time" - Next
"Install from a list or specific location" - Next
"Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" - Next
Click - Have Disk
Browse to the iaStor.inf file - Click Ok
Choose the  "Intel(R) ICH10D/D0 SATA AHCI Controller" - Next
Install it.
Reboot
Go into the BIOS and enable the AHCI support for the Sata.
Reboot"

5. Then login to windows and it will find "new hardware". You will have to reboot.

6. Sysprep the 760 and you are good to go.

7 Posts

April 30th, 2009 13:00

I got it working without using a reg hack.

I can boot the Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode, and Latitude E-Series in AHCI/IRRT modes

I was able to get my image to boot all the above hardware scenarios using nothing but a OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH entry, a modified SysprepMassStorage section in c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf,  and a launch of c:\sysprep\sysprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet. Here's what I did:

- My master build is WinXP Pro VL with integrated SP3, uses the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, standard IDE controller, and was created from scratch CD on a Latitude D620

- I had no drivers or apps preinstalled other than what is natively detected or native to the OS. OS Security updates were also added.

- I copied my custom sysprep folder structure to C:\sysprep so that my c:\sysprep\syprep.inf is already in place BEFORE I launch c:\sysprep\sysprep.exe. Sysprep.exe will only read your sysprep.inf when it is pre-copied to c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf

- my 'OEMPNPDriversPath=' line already had an entry, ";drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo;"  this would be the equivalent of c:\drivers\intelchipsetaudiovideo

- I copied the SATA controllers from Dell's 760 SATA XP driver download package into C:\drivers\intelchipsetaudiovideo (don't make the mistake of downloading the default Vista drivers).

- the [SysprepMassStorage] section in my c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf needed the following additions:

;SATA AHCI Controllers

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf

;SATA RAID or IRRT Controllers

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf

- I ran c:\sysprep\syprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet

- I created my ghost image, then successfully loaded and booted the image on a 760 running in AHCI mode

No Events found!