Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2013 14:00

Optiplex 9020 imaging issues with SCCM 2012

We are running SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2 and we have gotten our first Optiplex 9020 and we are not having any luck getting these to image properly.  We are doing PXE and the system is able to boot and load the boot.wim, gets to the SCCM splash screen then immediately reboots... I have loaded the A01 version (latest one) of rhe winpe 4.0 drivers from the dell deployment website but still no luck.  Has anyone run into this?

October 15th, 2013 08:00

We are really guessing this is hardware specific
All the previous models run perfectly, this includes the 9010(AIO) the 760 to 790 the precision M6500.

They all run fine except for the 9020, we actually have the AIO models, do you have the desktop variant?

Do you use a 32bit WinPE or a 64bit one?

4 Posts

Still having the problem, although we are using winpe 4.0.  That is interesting to hear you are having issues with 3.0 as well.

We have exactly the same problem, only we use WinPE 3.0 and windows 7 x64

Is there any clarification to the issue available?

4 Posts

October 15th, 2013 09:00

I agree - it must be hardware related.  We use the desktop form factor of the 9020.  Just like you, our 9010, 980, 960 and our various Latitudes all image up fine.  I have the same issue with both the 64 and 32 bit WinPE.  I am trying to re-load the winpe 4.0 A01 drivers from Dell.  If it still fails after that I might try contacting someone at Dell to see if they have any ideas what they need.

4 Posts

October 15th, 2013 09:00

Finally got it to boot and launch a task sequence :)  I removed ALL drivers from both 64/32 bit boot images and I only loaded the NIC drivers from the Dell winpe 4.0 A01 driver cab (except the USB 2.0 to LAN driver - we don't need that one at this point).  Both boot images had no issues injecting the drivers and now my 9020 PXE boots (off 32 bit image), and I can choose a TS that uses the 64 bit boot image/OS and so far it is going normally.  Seems like one or more drivers in the Dell winpe 4.0 driver cab aren't playing nice....  FYI, we have enabled Legacy mode in the 9020 BIOS.

5 Posts

October 21st, 2013 17:00

Further to the abovethere have been a Microsoft update for the KMDF which can be found at the below link. Some of the Windows 7 drivers for the new Dell systems may require an update of the KMDF to version 1.11. The KMDF is a component of the OS and the update is available from Microsoft at the link below. The usual treatment is to include the KMDF update into your base image until it is rolled up into a service pack. Some of you may remember seeing this issue with XP/Vista when Win7 came on the scene.

Symptoms that a KMDF update is needed for a Windows 7 driver:

1.       Yellow bang in device manager for components that you know you have a driver available

2.       Black screen during OS deployment

Adding the KMDF update is best practice as it may pop-up in other areas later or until it gets pulled up in a service pack. Best to get it out of the way now. let me know if the ME driver is still problematic afterwards.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-my/download/details.aspx?id=38423

1 Message

October 29th, 2013 13:00

Hi - We are/were having the same problem. SCCM 2012, MDT 2012, WinPE4 and we have about 7 other models of dells working fine globally.

This is the driver that worked for us... it's in the WinPE4 CAB\x64\Network\72FNC_A00\Win8-x64 folder.

All other drivers in the CAB load but don't actually work correctly. I removed the x86 version of the above driver and only left the x64 version since we are full x64 os and x64 boot image. I was able to leave all other drivers as is without a problem in our boot image.

I used this article to test each of the drivers individually in WinPE and only one actually worked: http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC1287003&nav=0&referrer=rss  (super cool trick btw...will save lots of time for new models in the future)

That did it for us. No other issues.

Tony

1 Message

February 27th, 2014 08:00

I fixed this problem by only putting in the Windows 8 x32 network driver. Now to get the Video and Chipset drivers working.  Apparently the Windows 7 drivers are the problem.

1 Message

October 6th, 2014 19:00

Check that the HDD did not arrive with Windows 8 installed on it.

Yes, bios legacy mode is important, but if the HDD has Windows 8 then it is locked ( UEFI )
when locked, (depending on how your image deploys) , sometimes WinPE cant see the HDD.
Run 'diskpart.exe', clean, create part prim and format the HDD, then you SCCM task sequence can ' see ' the hard drive.

Edmonds
University of the Sunshine Coast

1 Message

March 5th, 2015 23:00

I have had this problem with SCCM 2012 R2 as well.  Particularly with the Optiplex 755 when trying to boot to Win PE 5 and run a Task Sequence.  From the research I did, if either the mass storage or the NIC driver is not present, the system immediately reboots.  For me, it was the SATA setting.  We had it set to legacy when it needed to be set to AHCI.  It apears Win PE 5 doesn't have the proper driver for "legacy" mode.  You can troubleshoot this by enabling command support on the boot image (in the SCCM console, properties>customization tab, check the box).  Then you can hit F8 when Win PE first boots and use the command prompt to check various settings (like whether ipconfig sees your NIC and you have a proper address).  You can always add the drivers to the boot image in SCCM or simply start using Win PE 5.  I haven't had to add any drivers to Win PE 5 for our 9020 machines.

No Events found!