Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2008 20:00

PASSWORD FOR ASP.NET USER ACCOUNT.

Somehow i have opened a account in vista (ASP.NET)which was added to my user accounts. From my research this is not to be a problem and can be deleted unless i am working on program design. That being said the problem is that it requires a password to open. I did not intentionally set this up so i have no clue what the password is. Again whit this set up then i can not get back to my system to change or delete any progran as this screen comes up requesting my password.   I would like some help, please.   Thanks AKA  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 24th, 2008 20:00

Hi AKADUFFY and welcome to DCF,

Are you saying that with the introduction of the Asp.Net Account, you are now asked for a password on your normal account that you never needed a password for before? if so try logging in leaving the password blank.

More info on Asp.Net Account HERE.

4 Posts

September 24th, 2008 22:00

NOT EXACTLY WHAT I NEED BUT THANKS FOR THE REPLY. 

SOMEHOW I GOT THIS USER ACCOUNT NAMED "ASP.NET" WHICH WILL NOT LET ME CHANGE OR DELETE ANYTHING INCLUDING DELETING THAT USER PROFILE.    A SCREEN COMES UP ASKING FOR A PASSWORD WHICH I DON'T HAVE AS I DID NOT SET THIS UP - JUST APPERED AFTER TRYING TO DOWNLOAD I-TUNES. I NEED TO DELET THIS OR THE ATTACHED PROGRAM WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE "MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK"  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP  AKA 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 24th, 2008 23:00

4 Posts

September 24th, 2008 23:00

I HAVE TRIED THAT AND DELETING PROGRAMS -  THE PROBLEM IS THE ASP.NET SCREEN COMES UP FIRST ASKING FOR THE PASSWORD.    SO CANNOT PROCEDE!    AKA THANKS AGAIN

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 26th, 2008 00:00

Are you saying that the Asp.Net account is somehow the only Administrator account on your system?

75 Posts

September 26th, 2008 18:00

Ok, this is not that difficult chaps . .  (for a microsoft induced nightmare)

the ASP.Net (big clue!) account is created when Microsoft.Net framework is installed, (You just downloaded dot.net 3 I'm guessing)  on it's own or by some other installers.

It is a separate account so that it can run stuff if the logged in user is not an admin.  Lots of ways to do this but Microsoft chose this one

It is harmless except that when you have never had to log on before there is now suddenly a login screen and choice of accounts.  Usually you are presented just your own account in normal windows . .or in safe mode (F8 before windows loads) with Administrator, ASP.Net or your own account which has either the password you set or no password - just click administrator or your own account. 

I don't know the password to ASP.NET but uninstalling .Net removes the account and breaks whatever was needing it now or in the future. ..

ms clearly decided this mess would be good for your soul . .  if you disagree then from normal or safe mode open a run box, type in

"control userpasswords2" >Ok.  (without the ""'s)
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option, and click Ok.

Generally it then asks you (but anyway you should) identify the default account and login and password (or blank) . . pick the login or name your own account has (top of the start menu generally or check in Control panel user accounts )    This means ASP.Net is still ok, only appears in safe mode, and your password-less login resumes in normal Windows startup.

Save and exit . .hopefully you are sorted

Message Edited by BruceVi on 09-26-2008 08:47 PM

4 Posts

September 26th, 2008 19:00

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY -- ACTIONS DID NOT WORK. DELL ON LINE AND OTHERS I HAVE CHATED WITH SEEM TO THINK THIS IS SOME SORT OF VIRUS. DELL WANTS ME DO REMOVE AND REINSTALL SYSTEM. ( NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO!!) I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT THAT SOME OTHER PROGRAM ADDED THE NET PROGRAM BUT I AM STUCK AS SEEMS LIKE NO MATTER WHAT I DO THE ASP.NET SCREEN COMES UP WANTING A PASSWORD. ( SUCH AS IN YOUR SUGGESTIONS - NEED A PASSWORD ) I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RELOAD BUT I HAVENT GIVEN UP YET AS I CAN USE MOST PROGRAMES , JUST CANOT DELETE OR CHANGE ANYTHING.

THANKS     AKA 

75 Posts

September 27th, 2008 18:00

What accounts do you see if you boot to safemode?

No Events found!