Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2008 18:00

PC going slower than usual

DIMENSION 3000 Windows XP

I have carried out some steps in an attempt to speed things up to what they used to be(de-fraging/Disk Clean/Deleting unwanted programs/cutting down on how many programs auto start etc)  have also sent alot of music/photos to an extranl hard-drive. Which did see some slight improvements but still slower than im used to thats for sure.

General navigation (internet and otherwise) is slow and can result in some programs occasionally 'Freezing'

I have run the Avast anti vrus scan aswell as Adaware SE and Search and Destroy, only none harmful tracking cookies were located.

I posted my HJT log in the HJT forum but unfortunately noone replied, Im really hoping someone here can assist me as I fear there is something sinister at work here!!

Many thanks

June 27th, 2008 21:00

I assume it is scanning software that is slowing it down, if you need to kill any processes, please use something called "ProcessExplorer". If you want to, leave it running and you can tell what is overloading the CPU.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Im just looking at your HiJackThis log, here are some programs I know that can slow the computer down:

- Windows Defender

- Avast

- Apple Mobile Device Service (if you dont use Apple iPhone/iTouch then you can uninstall this through C/P and clicking "Change" on this, not Remove).

You also have a lot of "tray" applications running, ask yourself if you need them:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\bin\hprblog.exe

All those can be disabled. If you use the HP software then leave them as they are.

There is also some software from Nokia and Intel that you can disable safely.

One big one - disable PICASA!!!! Immediately!!!!!! Picasa slows it down MASSIVELY!

I suggest uninstalling Picasa persoanlly but you keep it if you want!

Tell me what happens if you uninstall Picasa or any of the others above. Always make a restore point before you do this anyway.

If you want an advanced start-up manager then download "Autoruns", it lists everything.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

I hope that helps.

Robert

37 Posts

July 9th, 2008 14:00

Hey man thanks for coming back to me.  I am a complete novice when it comes to things like this so please bear with me and I will attempt to let you know what Ive done.

I have uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Service and left the windows defender as it is.  In terms of the Tray applications, I went into my Search & Destroy programme which has an option to uncheck start up applications, I have unchecked the first 5 you mentioned (Java/HP Software/ITUneshelper/NOKIA LAUNCH/HP Digital Imaging). In terms of the last 3 (ipodService and the other 2 HP entries) I couldnt see these listed, so I installed the Autoruns programme and used the search facility but couldnt see them on there either.  However the good news is that the HP icon that used to appear in the bottom right corner of the screen no longer does (same applies to the Nokia one). I now just have vilume controls, time and the Avast symbol which is fine by me.

Also in the Autoruns programme I unchecked something called 'Adiras' as the filepath stated 'file was not found' anyway.  In addition there were 3 X Intel applications which I unchecked they were;

hkcmd module

persistence module

igfx Tray module

Frankly I havnt got a clue what they were but no side effects so far! 

The system hasnt restarted any quicker and the general speed of the system doesnt seem to have improved either.  I think I might uninstall AVG free version instead of this Avast system I am using, what do you think?

In terms of the Process Explorer when I first opened it I had to scroll down to view everything but having made all of the above changes it now fits comfortably within the screen so basically I must have trimmed things down a bit I guess.  Although looking at the entries in Process Explorer I havnt really got a clue what Im looking at to be honest, is it worth me doing a screen print of it or maybe another HJT log to see if things are looking better? (I did however use this to uncheck Bluetooth support server - which was using 2024 in the PID column, which was on of the highest figures - what is PID anyway?!)

Picasa fully uninstalled. 

Sorry to waffle on but Im pretty confused by these types of matters! :smileytongue:

Thanks alot!

July 10th, 2008 00:00

Thank you very much for your incredibly detailed reply!!!

You really did put some effort into it you did I praise you for all that work you've done :D

Yep if you can do a screenshot of ProcessExplorer or mutiple screenshots as soon after you've turned it on the go ahead and I will take a look.

The main thing you are looking for is the CPU usage. After you turn the computer on run this program as soon as you can and please find out if there are any programs that seem to be soaking up the CPU to very high numbers, except System Idle Process. If this is the case I will recommend some CPU threshold software; but in the meantime you can also right click and change the prirorty to Low (1) or even Suspend certain heavy tasks.

Autoruns will also list all of the "Services" on the computer. Some services that are installed do slow the system down. If you can, open Autoruns and complete the scan, The go to File > Save As and save the file somewhere, I will be able to compare it to my system.

You are correct, it is often the scanning software that slows a computer down.

I know the following software that does slow it down particularly:

Symantec - Norton (DEFINITELY!!!! If you haveany Symantec software installed you computer is destined to slow down)

ZoneAlarm (vsmon.exe) - can take whole processor when loading files, copying or updating itself.

Avast! A-V

Anything by PC Tools

Anything by Comodo

Windows Defender

I recommend AVG instead of Avast for the antivirus component.

For firewall, I use ZoneAlarm but there are other such as Comodo.

For antispyware I use ZA and Lavasoft Ad-Aware but Spybot should suffice.

Other security software I haven't tried include McAfee and F-Secure.

If you want to you can try loading up in Safe Mode (tap F8 as the computer boots up) or Diagnostic Startup by going through Start > Run > type msconfig, hit Enter. Choose the second from the list (Diagnostic Startup as opposed to Normal or Selective). Play around with that but be warned. If this fails reboot in F8 to get it back to Normal.

I hope that helps a bit.

I will post my email address to you should you need to send the AutoRuns file and the screenshots to me for full inspection. You can also do another HijackThis log if you want to as it does cover some areas of the computer which do now run at startup.

If not this I will suggest cleaning the cache using C-Cleaner.

Robert

37 Posts

July 10th, 2008 16:00

Thanks for coming back to me so soon Rob, much appreciated.

Yeah if you could let me have you e-mail address that would be great, ill do a process explorer and autoruns screen print along with new HJT log and if you wouldnt mind Ill do a CC cleaner one to, i.e so you can tell me which boxes need to be ticked 'cause im not sure what im doing with that to be honest. I have Silent Runners too if thats any help.

Also I know im being exceptionally thick here but what is safe mode all about, what should i be doing once im in safe mode? (sorry!!):robottongue:

July 10th, 2008 18:00

Right, let me just summarise a few things, this is for my own benefit as some of my writings I am rambling.

Causes of a slow computer are:

- Applications running at startup - too many / invalid filenames / crashing or conflicting software

Soltuion: Disable startup items

- Programs are still running that were started at startup, but are continuing to slow down the computer - security software / file indexing software / scanning and updating software

Solution: Modify the settings of the program, reduce the depth or priority of scanning, or try different security software

Methods of increasing startup speeds:

- Disable startup items with AutoRuns or MSCONFIG

- Change priority of programs with ProcessExplorer

- Install other security software

We are going to use Safe Mode as a test to see if the computer does boot up at a faster rate. Safe Mode will boot the computer up using only the most basic drivers and files, so none of the software you have installed will or should be running, unless it is a shell extension possibly, very persistent software, or you have a virus that has incorporated itself into the Windows startup and system files.

All you need to do is tell me if the computer is still as low once you have booted into it under your user account.

I have sent you a message through here with my email address in it.

Oh and for the record - hkcmd and igfx are both related to your Display Monitor. It is completely safe to disable these two, they only load "tray" applications so they are useless unless you need them.

Cheers =]

Robert

July 11th, 2008 23:00

Ok Rob, loaded in Safe Mode, previously the restart
time was 1:28 to get to the log-in screen with the
total time to get to desktop with everything fully
loaded being 1:55.

When I re-started in safe mode there wasnt much I
could do as there were only about 5 icons there and
the internet wasnt one of them, however when I hit
re-start from there it got back to normal log-in
screen in 0:52 and was fully loaded in 1:10 so clearly
an improvement.

Hmmm something is dragging its heels for sure, think
Avast is out and AVG is in! let me know what you
think of the screen prints dude and have a great
weekend!!

Thank you very much for sending over the word document with the screenshot and the logfiles, I have read over everything.

From ProcessExplorer I can determine that fortunately nothing malicious is running on your system and that only the startup programs are running. Neither does there appear to be any CPU overloading.

From AutoRuns and also from your HijackThis and the other log you sent me, I can tell you that you are able to disable the following programs safely. Please you AutoRuns to disable them.

From "Logon":

please delete "adiras" as the file is not found

you can safely disable:

dla; ISUSPM; ISUSS; QTTask; SoundMax; Microsoft Office.

Otherwise, ProcessExplorer looks good, you have hardly anything running in the startup so that is good.

Here are some suggestions that might help, you do not need to follow them if you don't want to.

- Go to Start > All programs > and right click on Startup > Open All Users.

For all the files that end with "disabled", cut these and paste them into a new folder in this Statup folder called "AutorunsDisabled" without the space. Paste them in there.

- On the "Scheduled Tasks" tab, you can safely disable both of the tasks, Apple and Windows Defender.

The only software that is running and is on the startup that may be slowing it down is Windows Defender and Avast Anti-Virus. After looking at all this data I cannot see that you actually have a firewall running, and although both of these programs provide you with suitable on-access protection, it is highly recommeded that you install a firewall such as ZoneAlarm Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus as these are both free, give very good protection and are easy to work with.

For the antivirus, Avast is not particularly known for slowing down the computer, but you can try some other software that is also free if you want to see if you can get it any faster. I would suggest AVG as I have never know it to cause any problems. You could also try the AntiVirus component from Comodo as well.

Defender provides you with Spyware defense but I have known it to be a slow program (and it appears to be doing something even though it is idle in the screenshot you sent me), so I would rather suggest one of these:

Spyware Doctor (download it from Google Pack to get a better-than-free version) - but this one can be slow sometimes

Lavasoft Ad-aware, although the free version does not provide real-time on-access scanning.

Spybot - no real-time on-access scanning and can cause other problems.

If you want to, just try uninstalling Defender because I have known it to slow it down - if it doesn't make any clear change, then just install it again.

Otherwise I think your system is pretty much as fast as you can get it. As long as you have the latest Service Pack installed on your system of course (SP3). See Microsoft Update for more information if you are not sure.

1:55 is certainly faster than my machine! Your system is very clean and fast compared to mine, I can tell you that!

Let me know how it all turns out =]

Robert

No Events found!