Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2011 10:00

PCDr

What is PCDr ( C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PCDr ) ???

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 29th, 2017 11:00

jayarjo,

PCDr is part of the Dell Support System. It is not needed and can be removed from the control panel, add/remove programs.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 10:00

Could be for "PC Doctor" hardware diagnostics or can also be malware.   Run a complete malware/spyware scan and see if it shows anything.  If you don't have one, download the free Malwarebytes, update it's data file and then do a complete scan as a start. 

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 07:00

That was my initial concern.  However a Dell Tech led me to discover that "PC - Doctor" is the engine that runs the new Dell Support Center version(s).  Thanks for the reply.

1 Message

August 29th, 2014 08:00

I just had a virus removed that was in the folder /programdata/pcdr. Lots of dll files. I was having problems & did run all the dell diagnostics so I am hoping I did not get this from Dell!!! I'm trying to trace my steps to understand where I got the virus because I am pretty careful & have not downloaded anything odd or clicked on anything suspicious. If anyone knows where pcdr comes from please respond!

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 02:00

This is a pretty belated response because I only got it today but, I also got this I believe and I can tell you exactly where I got it from.  In a google search i conducted, I'm positive that a link's description did not match its actual http, and when i clicked it, this search to me instead to a website called homechown.com- at which point Malwarebytes Premium (anti-malware software) was able to block it, supposedly.  Unforunately, I still got infected and neither my anti-malware nor anti-viral software is able to detect it, yet Adwcleaner does flag the pcdr folders in the following locations: 

C:\ProgramData\pcdr
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AI_RecycleBin
C:\Users\Theresa\AppData\Roaming\pcdr
C:\ProgramData\pcdr
C:\Users\Theresa\AppData\Roaming\pcdr

I also had a strange object in my recycling bin that resembled a photo i once had but with a really weird name (and also did not have a proper .jpg extension!).  Removing these items via Adwcleaner did remove this item, but it keeps coming back because i have not found the virus installing the stupid folders or whatever.  I suspect it is in another location reinstalling its minions over and over as I repeatedly delete them...

Long story short, always hover over links and double check that they are what they say they are in the description, and make sure to show extensions so you can tell when somethings a fake, like the file in my bin.  All it took was one wrong url click to determine the next seven hours of my life, haha.

12 Posts

August 27th, 2017 23:00

There is a log under: C:\ProgramData\PCDr\6875\Bart\logs, so I checked it and this is the content:

(2017-04-28 05:20:48.9776) - ERROR -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.PreConditions.SystemHasRebootedPreCondition - No previous update attempt discovered.
(2017-04-28 05:20:48.9776) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Program - Setting working directory to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\PCDr\Repair\
(2017-04-28 05:20:48.9930) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Koala.KoalaHelper - Full koala path discovered: 'C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist\\koala.exe')
(2017-04-28 05:20:49.0399) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Koala.KoalaHelper - Launching KOALA from location 'C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist\\koala.exe' with arguments 'get settings -key app.koala.enabled -apikey pcd.bart'.
(2017-04-28 05:20:54.0880) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Program - 'Dell SupportAssist' appears to be installed and working correctly. Removing the scheduled task and exiting.
(2017-04-28 05:20:55.5569) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Program - Tracking data successful: True
(2017-07-04 12:34:13.7427) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Program - Setting working directory to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\PCDr\Repair\
(2017-07-04 12:34:13.7741) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Program - 'Dell SupportAssist' was not discovered in list of installed applications.
(2017-07-04 12:36:27.0323) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.Program - Tracking data successful: True
(2017-07-04 12:36:27.0403) - INFO -- BundleApplicationRepairTool.AuLauncher.AuLauncherHelper - Running aulauncher. Path: 'aulauncher.exe', arguments: '/forceinstall /silent /bart'

Looks like whatever this does it is associated with Dell in one way or another. Apparently has something to do with Dells SupportAssist. Interesting line is the last one, where it didn't find something that it was looking for and automatically force installed something silently (!).

Whatever it is it occupies almost 1gb on my C: drive.

42 Posts

April 14th, 2018 21:00

I recognized PC Doctor from the old Dell Support Center and surmised that is the PCDr shown as a  Scheduled Task - via CCleaner Startup:

BundleApplicationRepairToolLauncherTask  C:\Users\TEMP.my PC's Network Name\AppData\Roaming\PCDr\Repair\BundleApplicationRepairTool.exe

It attempted to run aulauncher.exe after downloading it to AppData then that has failed the last 7 weeks.  300 MB of downloads under \Rules in that time.

"This software package is not designed for use with this machine" the problem.

So I just deleted the Task and the AppData folder.  

See dell.com's "Dell Diagnostic Tools to Diagnose and Fix Hardware Problems on Your Dell PC, Tablet or Servers" with online diagnostics you can run via your device's Support page.  First Dell SupportAssist has to be downloaded and installed.

11 Posts

January 27th, 2021 20:00

10 years later, brand new XPS 15 9500, upgraded to 64GB of RAM, machine running like cr@p and in the TaskManager Detail pane pcdrmemory2.p5x is using 55 GIGABYTES of memory. Uninstalled SupportAssist on both the machines it was installed on. 10 years later and they still can't fix this garbage software.

22 Posts

June 13th, 2021 15:00

I just noticed the same thing happening on my brand new Alienware M17R3 - my game suddenly dropped to less than 5 FPS, all eight cores pegged, and there's a "pcdrmemory2.p5x" process using 20GB of my 32GB of RAM.

No Events found!