noscowboy2004
1 Copper

Partition order

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I do not see a more proper one for this, so I figured since the end goal includes a Microsoft OS, this is a good place to start. I am trying to understand the way that dell installs the partition table/order in their computers. What I have is a Dell M5040 laptop, and I am trying to get everything back in the right order. I have successfully managed to use Diskpart and Imagex to reinstall from the recovery partition, but I want to manage to get the keys to work so that the customer can accomplish this task herself if needed in the future. I am not asking for a walk through on how to get this working again, as I have a disk with DSRFix on it, and understand the necessary steps behind it, just not the proper order of the partitions and which goes where. I know that one is supposed to be fat16 and labeled DellUtility, and that three is supposed to be fat32. The question I have, is with it being fat32, do I assume that is the correct position for the recovery partition, and that the 2nd partition is for the OS and should be NTFS? I have, in the past, using a cloned drive, fixed the keys and got them working again, but this one was damaged, and I was worked on by someone lacking the proper knowledge and willingness to put in the effort to do it right, and I believe things are out of order. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

0 Kudos