Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JI

January 4th, 2009 16:00

Please help me correct settings in BIOS

I'm not getting much useful information on my first post, so I'll try a new post.  Here is the essence of my problem:

While in BIOS(for the first time ever), after replacing my old hard drive with a new drive, I seem to have accidentally activated the floppy drive controller.  I do not have a floppy drive.  Each time I start the computer, I get a white-on-black screen that says, in part: "Floppy diskette seek failure.  Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility."  Aside from this annoying screen, the computer seems to be working OK.

I am nervous about returning to BIOS now.  How do I return BIOS to the setting of 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive?

01 Jan 2009

The problem continues.  I have tried some forum suggestions.  I have tried the procedure in the Dell Service manual.  I have tried something suggested by someone at Microsoft.  None of them works.

In BIOS my drives are listed as follows:  DISKETTE DRIVE,  DRIVE 0: SATA-0,  DRIVE 1: SATA-2, DRIVE 3: PATA-0, DRIVE 4: PATA-1.  The optical drive is not listed.

I think this is probably not correct.  All I can do in BIOS is turn them ON or OFF.  I have the DISKETTE DRIVE turned off but the computer still looks for it each time it starts up.

What are the correct settings and how can I change my BIOS settings to what they should be?

John

3.4K Posts

January 4th, 2009 17:00

Hello,

Go into the BIOS settings.

Go to "Drives", and then highlight "Diskette Drive", Use the right of left arrow keys until it says "Off". Press enter.

Exit and save your settings. Now the floppy drive is turned off.

You can do the same steps to check the other drives.

Your CD will be one of the PATA drives, most likely PATA-0

If you are sure that the Diskette drive is really off, you should not get that error message.

January 5th, 2009 16:00

The non-existent diskette is OFF in BIOS-  has been for more than a week.  But the computer continues to look for it each time it starts.

The CD drive is PATA 0 as you suggested.

John

3.4K Posts

January 5th, 2009 17:00

Hello again,

What is the Boot order set as?

January 5th, 2009 18:00

Good question.  I dont remember where to set it.  Its been a long time.

John

3.4K Posts

January 6th, 2009 03:00

Hello again,

Look here again. It's about 2/3 of the page down.

This will be where your error message is comming from if the floppy is set before the hard drive.

Boot Sequence

This feature allows you to change the boot sequence for devices.

Option Settings

• Diskette Drive - The computer attempts to boot from the floppy drive. If the floppy disk in the drive is not bootable, if no floppy disk is in the drive, or if there is no floppy drive installed in the computer, the computer generates an error message.

• Hard Drive - The computer attempts to boot from the primary hard drive. If no operating system is on the drive, the computer generates an error message.

• CD Drive - The computer attempts to boot from the CD drive. If no CD is in the drive, or if the CD has no operating system, the computer generates an error message.

• USB Flash Device - Insert the memory device into a USB port and restart the computer. When F12 = Boot Menu appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press . The BIOS detects the device and adds the USB flash option to the boot menu.

NOTE: To boot to a USB device, the device must be bootable. To make sure your device is bootable, check the device documentation.

January 6th, 2009 18:00

Didn't work.  I removed the floppy drive from the boot sequence.  The hard drive is now number one in the boot sequence.  There is no number in front of the floppy drive.  The floppy remains OFF in the drive list.  I restarted the computer and, as usual, got : Floppy diskette seek failure....  etc.

John

January 8th, 2009 05:00

Well, good news.  When I used the computer yesterday I still got the initial Floppy diskette search failure.  But when I started it up today, it started normally.  I have restarted it twice and it continues to start correctly.  Go figure.

Thanks,

John

No Events found!