This post is more than 5 years old

NM

January 4th, 2018 06:00

Power settings resetting and removing passwords

Relevant specs:
Dell XPS 8930
GeForce GTX 1080
Windows 10

I'm having two problems with my new Dell XPS 8930, and I suspect they're related.

First, the power settings keep reverting to "Power saver." I repeatedly set it on "High Performance," but it frequently switches back for no clear reason. Another thread suggesting that it switches automatically when the GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080) is running too hot, but I don't think this is the case, given the switch often happens in the middle of the night when no applications are in use. CPU idle is 41C, GPU idle is 55C.

Normally, I wouldn't care too much about the "Power Saver" setting, except that the setting allows the system to go to sleep, which prohibits me from remotely accessing the desktop from TeamViewer. My goal in this case is to ensure that my system never, ever goes to sleep under any circumstances, so I can remote-access it at any time.

=================

In addition, some mornings when I bring the desktop out of sleep mode, it demands a password. A month ago, I followed the instructions here to disable the password screen:

www.tekrevue.com/.../

... The checkbox remains unchecked, and it should not be asking for a password. Regardless, I'm forced to enter it when the system comes out of sleep mode, which it shouldn't be entering in the first place. My goal is to disable the password requirement completely. It's possible that if the Power Settings issue is fixed, then the sleep mode problem will never manifest.

Many thanks for any help.

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 07:00

Just to add to the case, here: I have the same exact problem. Dell XPS 8930.

7 Posts

March 24th, 2018 07:00

And... I can confirm that my situation is not being caused by any Windows updates resetting the power plan. I set it to High Performance just yesterday and came in this morning to find it set to Power Saver. That's not the first time I've seen it toggle like that in 24hrs without any updates or reboots being done.

And I opened the Intel Ready Mode application and found that it is already OFF, so that's not my answer either.

1 Message

May 12th, 2018 05:00

Even if the IRMT is off in the app, it still attempts to apply its settings and will show issues in the event logs.
Disable it completely in services.

May 23rd, 2018 18:00

Had the same problem since Fall Creator's.  This thread has me hopeful that disabling the Intel Ready Mode will stop this behavior.

Will try to remember to let y'all know.

2 Posts

July 1st, 2018 00:00

After a couple of months of observations, I can confirm one thing consistently.

Every time I turn on the PC fresh, type in my password and if I left it untouched for a while, within 1 minute or so my display would go to sleep. This is despite in my power plan, display sleep is set to 10 minutes. 

Whenever this happens, my preferred "Dell" power plan will ALWAYS change to "Power Saver" plan itself. And the software that changed it doesn't bother to revert back to my preferred one. It's frustrating that I have to always open control panel to check what power plan I'm in or I'd risk running a slow PC not sure what's happening if I forgot.

As a few of you suggested, Intel Ready Mode is really to be blamed. Here's what I did that solved the problem for me completely:
- in desktop, I hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc
- go to [Services], find IRMTService (Intel Ready Mode Technology)
- right click on IRMTService and "Stop" it
- right click on IRMTService again, then click "Open Services"
- find Intel(R) Ready Mode Technology in the newly opened window
- right click Intel(R) Ready Mode Technology, choose "Properties"
- [Startup type] change to "Manual"

Hope this is helpful in someway to people who suffer the same problem as me.

1 Message

July 10th, 2018 22:00

I have an Alienware/Aurora desktop. Exact same problem since I got it. Very annoying.

1 Message

July 24th, 2018 07:00

Same problem with my Dell desktop. I use this computer to remote to when I'm travelling and I couldn't access it many times because it had gone into Power Saver mode on its own no matter how many times I reset it to Performance mode.

Finally, after having my sister come by the house and wake up my Dell while I was overseas, I downloaded couple of small free programs that forces the Dell to never go to sleep. I used one of them (Insomnia) and it saved me as I was overseas a month and couldn't deal with this issue easily. 

I have previously built all my own desktop computers over the last 15 years and never had an issue such as this one. First time I decided to be lazy and buy a pre-configured desktop and I'm almost regretting it.

1 Message

September 4th, 2018 13:00

Same exact issue as most of the others here.... after reboot my setting keeps going back to 1 minute... frustrating... did I miss any good reply from Dell? Clearly an issue,,, has Dell acknowledged it yet? Mine us on a new Aurora

1 Message

September 7th, 2018 18:00

I am having a similar issue in reverse!  My new xps 8930 will not enter sleep mode or will not remain in sleep mode and the settings in Power and Sleep change without any action from me.  They always move from Balanced to Power Saver and the times change!  After a month I found that if I set the settings then restarted the computer they would "stick"...that is until I ran Support Assist, then they were all lost again!  This is only one of several continuing aggravations which are due either to the machine or Windows 10,  still trying to sort that out.

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 19:00

This worked perfectly. 

changing the Intel Ready Mode IRMT to manual. 

My previous failed attempts included creating a new profile, no luck. Every day, every Reboot and sometimes in the middle of doing work ,,, the settings would change back to  Sleep in One Minute.  

I have 3 other Windows 10 PC's,,, custom builds,,, none had this problem 

January 24th, 2020 08:00

I have an Alienware Aurora r7, same problem. Though my PC seems to go to sleep under heavy loads (yay!). I do see the exact same Intel RMT error in my Windows Application log.

I'm trying the fix described here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-General/Power-settings-resetting-and-removing-passwords/m-p/6104690/highlight/true#M373388

No Events found!