ineedhelp111
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8930: Power settings keep resetting

I've had an XPS 8930 for about 6 weeks now.  When I noticed the CPU wasn't preforming as expected, I changed the power plan from balanced to high performance and it made a huge difference with CPU intensive activities.  Since then the power plan has changed back to balanced by itself a dozen or more times.  With some help from the internet,  I found in the MS Event log where Intel(R) Ready Mode Technology\IRMTService.exe  is changing the power plan to balanced and it does not change it back.  Intel Ready Mode changes the power plan even though it says it's disabled. I'm tempted to remove it but am wondering why it was included disabled and, since it is actually doing things even though disabled, what the consequences of removing it would be.

peterhoa
1 Copper

I have also found that Intel Ready Mode changes the power plan even though it says it's disabled in the app. interface.  I have stopped the service and set it to manual so it no longer runs on re-boot.  No problems so far.   As far as I can see it's not required for a desktop computer which never sleeps. I suspect this is the cause of the sleep issue, but I'll need a couple of days to confirm.

ineedhelp111
1 Copper

My bad.  Everywhere I refer to a balanced power plan in my post above,  it should be power saver.

0 Kudos
RJ63
1 Copper

Re: Power settings resetting and removing passwords

Same problem here, same configuration.

I started a Dell ticket and they have been responsive but basically unhelpful; suggested the usual analytics, reinstalling chipset and video drivers, and even complete reinstall of OS, which I was NOT prepared to do after just installing a load of software on this brand-new machine. Now they are talking about mother board or hard drive errors, and apparently have not seen nor are aware of this thread. They keep pointing toward a hardware problem. 

I'll try the suggestions above with the Intel service. Ironically, I believe it was issues with this same service after the Windows 10 Creator's update that caused my previous Dell XPS desktop to fail to reawaken the graphics card after sleep, and prompted me to start over with a new machine!

0 Kudos
Mtea
1 Copper

peterhoa, how has it been for you, is the system no longer changing the power plan by itself?

I have an XPS 8930 either and realized this situation that it changes from Dell power plan to Power Saver plan. Not a biggie but frustrating not knowing why it does so.

My Intel Ready Mode says disabled in the app interface too. How do you 'stop the service and set it to manual'? thanks.

0 Kudos
LH1
1 Copper

Thank you to all who responded to this thread. I've been having the same problem with my new XPS 8930 Tower. I need to use it mostly in Remote Desktop, and when it goes to sleep it requires a physical visit to wake up, and I always find the power settings changed. Dell of course has not responded to my ticket in over a week, despite their promise to get back in 'one business day'. So great there are people like you all online who research and test these things.

I will report back if this is a fix for me as well.

0 Kudos
kickslop
1 Copper

Just to add to the case, here: I have the same exact problem. Dell XPS 8930.

0 Kudos
kickslop
1 Copper

And... I can confirm that my situation is not being caused by any Windows updates resetting the power plan. I set it to High Performance just yesterday and came in this morning to find it set to Power Saver. That's not the first time I've seen it toggle like that in 24hrs without any updates or reboots being done.

And I opened the Intel Ready Mode application and found that it is already OFF, so that's not my answer either.

0 Kudos
Toolel
1 Copper

Even if the IRMT is off in the app, it still attempts to apply its settings and will show issues in the event logs.
Disable it completely in services.

Had the same problem since Fall Creator's.  This thread has me hopeful that disabling the Intel Ready Mode will stop this behavior.

Will try to remember to let y'all know.

0 Kudos