Mtea
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8930: Power settings keep resetting

After a couple of months of observations, I can confirm one thing consistently.

Every time I turn on the PC fresh, type in my password and if I left it untouched for a while, within 1 minute or so my display would go to sleep. This is despite in my power plan, display sleep is set to 10 minutes. 

Whenever this happens, my preferred "Dell" power plan will ALWAYS change to "Power Saver" plan itself. And the software that changed it doesn't bother to revert back to my preferred one. It's frustrating that I have to always open control panel to check what power plan I'm in or I'd risk running a slow PC not sure what's happening if I forgot.

As a few of you suggested, Intel Ready Mode is really to be blamed. Here's what I did that solved the problem for me completely:
- in desktop, I hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc
- go to [Services], find IRMTService (Intel Ready Mode Technology)
- right click on IRMTService and "Stop" it
- right click on IRMTService again, then click "Open Services"
- find Intel(R) Ready Mode Technology in the newly opened window
- right click Intel(R) Ready Mode Technology, choose "Properties"
- [Startup type] change to "Manual"

Hope this is helpful in someway to people who suffer the same problem as me.

0 Kudos
hkpuipui99
1 Copper

I have an Alienware/Aurora desktop. Exact same problem since I got it. Very annoying.

0 Kudos
sotagear
1 Copper

Same problem with my Dell desktop. I use this computer to remote to when I'm travelling and I couldn't access it many times because it had gone into Power Saver mode on its own no matter how many times I reset it to Performance mode.

Finally, after having my sister come by the house and wake up my Dell while I was overseas, I downloaded couple of small free programs that forces the Dell to never go to sleep. I used one of them (Insomnia) and it saved me as I was overseas a month and couldn't deal with this issue easily. 

I have previously built all my own desktop computers over the last 15 years and never had an issue such as this one. First time I decided to be lazy and buy a pre-configured desktop and I'm almost regretting it.

0 Kudos
rsamkevin
1 Copper

Same exact issue as most of the others here.... after reboot my setting keeps going back to 1 minute... frustrating... did I miss any good reply from Dell? Clearly an issue,,, has Dell acknowledged it yet? Mine us on a new Aurora

0 Kudos
jelink
1 Copper

Re: Power settings resetting and removing passwords

I am having a similar issue in reverse!  My new xps 8930 will not enter sleep mode or will not remain in sleep mode and the settings in Power and Sleep change without any action from me.  They always move from Balanced to Power Saver and the times change!  After a month I found that if I set the settings then restarted the computer they would "stick"...that is until I ran Support Assist, then they were all lost again!  This is only one of several continuing aggravations which are due either to the machine or Windows 10,  still trying to sort that out.

0 Kudos
mvb63
1 Copper

This worked perfectly. 

changing the Intel Ready Mode IRMT to manual. 

My previous failed attempts included creating a new profile, no luck. Every day, every Reboot and sometimes in the middle of doing work ,,, the settings would change back to  Sleep in One Minute.  

I have 3 other Windows 10 PC's,,, custom builds,,, none had this problem 

0 Kudos