Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

March 25th, 2019 09:00

Preinstalled Windows XP and Windows 7 on Vostro 220

I have a Vostro 220 that came with Windows XP and Windows 7 preinstalled. I have been using XP, but now I want to use 7. How do I go about this?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

March 25th, 2019 15:00

I doubt it had windows 7 already installed. It might have come with an installation disk to install it, but it might be a problem to get updates and drivers. You should know that soon Windows 7 will no longer get any updates including security updates from Microsoft. It will be considered end of life on January 14, 2020. It really is time to replace the 10 yr old computer with a newer model with Windows 10. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

Windows XP is already end of life and not been receiving any system or security updates. It is not safe to use XP on the Internet. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 26th, 2019 05:00

Any System that had Windows 7 PRO COA can be upgraded to 10.  Dell has not shipped systems with reinstall DVD's in over 10 years now and will not be providing windows 7 PRO DVD's as these are Gone Forever.

You install windows 10 1809 via system Builder DVD and tell it you do not have a key.

When its done you go online and run SLUI 3  from admin command prompt to change the key to use the WINDOWS 7 PRO key and it will activate.

There were NO DOWNGRADE rights for systems with Windows 7 Home.

This model shipped with OS: Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate or Windows Vista Ultimate with Windows XP Professional Downgrade Rights.

It NEVER Came with Windows 7.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2019 02:00

Look for a COA affixed to the Desktop, does it say Windows Vista Business or Windows 7 Pro? If it says Windows 7 Pro you can use the Product Key with Windows 10 Installation Media. More details here:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

If it says Windows Vista Business you unfortunately are not licensed to run Windows 7 or Windows 10... You will however be able to install and use Windows 10 without a Product key. This will leave your Desktop Watermarked and you will be restricted when it comes to changing some settings. It will however be far more functional and safer to use than a Windows XP system. Note the system is a Legacy System so when making a Windows 10 Bootable USB ensure you use the MBR partition scheme. The model is from 2008 so it'd be more cost effective to save up for a newer system (or second hand system) with a Windows 10, 8.1 or 7 OEM License.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2019 21:00

It came with a disk that said that Windows 7 was already installed on the computer, which matches the original invoice for the computer. It is also not a Vista disk.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 9th, 2019 05:00

Lets check your systems Legacy BIOS to see if it is licensed to run Windows 7. On your XP install run a program called RWEverything:

http://rweverything.com/download/

Select Access and then ACPI Tables then select the SLIC Tab. Let us know if the SLIC Version is 2.0 or 2.1.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2019 05:00

No dells for almost 10 years came with a WINDOWS disk.  There is a Resource Disk that says " already installed on your computer. " Dell stopped shipping media quite a long time ago.  If you do not have a windows 7 COA you do not have a system that shipped with 7.   It came with FreeDOS or XP   I would be willing to guess.  N series machines with FREEDOS do not have a COA.

Systems from 2007 came with VISTA Business not Windows 7.

10 July 2007 (Windows XP or Vista)
18 December 2007(Windows XP or Vista)
1 May 2008 (Windows XP or Vista)
1 July 2009 (Windows Vista only)

Nothing shipped with 7 until OCTOBER 22, 2009

The media Reduction Program was in full force at that time.

THIS IS NOT A WINDOWS DISKTHIS IS NOT A WINDOWS DISK

No Events found!