Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2009 20:00

Problem connecting to WiFi at School

Running: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Today when I went to school and attempted to connect to the school's WiFi I found that my computer is having issues with it.

Before, I would connect to the access point, open up Firefox, which would prompt me to add a security exception to a website with no certificate, log-in to my school's network through a company they use called "Bluesocket", and then proceed to browse the web to my whim.

Today, when I connected to the access point, everything seemed to be working correctly, but upon opening my web browser, firefox, it never automatically redirected to the school's login page.  Since I had another computer handy, I logged into the internet with that one to pull up the URL for the log in page so I could manually input it into my browser.  I found the URL and my computer successfully directed towards that page and even logged in.  However, after logging in, I was still unable to view any outside web pages.  I tried the simple things, restarting the computer, releasing and renewing my ip, disabling and re-enabling my network adapter, but nothing seemed to work.

I noticed that each time I waited through for the default "could not connect" page from firefox, that it entered ":65002/www.violators.com" at the end of each of my addresses.  I tried to visit www.violators.com, but the web page doesn't seem to exist anymore.  I tried googling anything to do with that port and url, but only found this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1728549&tstart=630 which pertains to Macintosh systems.  On top of that, I do not even think that the solution was found on that thread.

I ran a malware scan using a-squared, but, besides a few tracing cookies, I wasn't able to find any trojans.  I'm assuming that since the person on the mac thread stated that he had visited www.violators.com before and that it is now defunct that the website is old and that the trojan itself would be old and definitions would have been made for it by now, but I'm up to any suggestions.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2009 09:00

The system restore did not fix the problem, however, I did find out the problem and solution.

As we thought in the beginning, the school had blocked out my mac address from it's network.  Solution?  Change my mac address.

You can download a program called MacMakeup right here.  Simply select your network device, generate a random new mac address, and then press the change button.  Voila!  Hope this helps anyone else who has had this problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 30th, 2009 23:00

isaac-xps,

The school is controling their network. Most schools have tight security. They could be using Mac addresses as well as passwords. Contact your school administrator for help. It sounds like they're doing the redirecting to the above link.

Rick

6 Posts

March 31st, 2009 11:00

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

I guess it's possible that my computer tried to launch something through a port that they deemed hazardous to the rest of the network.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2009 13:00

isaac-xps,

Just a hunch. Download WinSock XP Fix and put it on a memory stick. Put it on the machine that gets redirected. Right click on it, left click run as administrator. It will prompt you. Then try connecting after you restart the computer.

What happens?

Rick

6 Posts

March 31st, 2009 13:00

Apparently they know nothing about it.  I don't think that I have the ability to contact the network administrator, but all the "technical support" the school offers has no idea of anything related to my problem.

I'll be at school for the next hour or two if anyone else has any suggestions.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2009 15:00

I ran it, but the program had a few errors as it is designed for Windows XP.  I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  Still not working.

1 Message

March 31st, 2009 15:00

I am having this same problem.

As of last week,  I had no problems running my Inspiron 1720 on the school's network, and now I am getting the violators.com ending.

I also tried your suggestions, but am running Vista 32-bit as well, so no go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2009 16:00

isaac-xps,

If this worked before, then try system restore. Also try connecting at another hotspot.

Best WiFi Locations

I still think the school technicians are redirecting you. I tried to connect to a WiFi spot a while back and no matter what I clicked on, it redirected my browser to their login screen. I think the school doesn't have your Mac addresses on file, so they consider you an intruder and redirect you.

I still believe you need to contact the schools IT Department about this.

Rick

6 Posts

March 31st, 2009 20:00

I'll try a system restore and will post my results tomorrow.

As for the mac address, they don't manually store them.  Any computer brought to the campus has the ability to connect to the school network and log on with their student ID.  The only way I could see the school redirecting me would be if they deemed my mac address as hostile, but I'm not sure of any type of program that I'm running that would give them that assumption.  I assume that the only way to trip that off would be to access a "hostile" port.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2009 11:00

isaac-xps,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I figured they had something to do with blocking the computer and redirecting you. I thought it worked the other way, where the registered your Mac address for you to connect.

Rick

No Events found!