Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2011 02:00

Problem with start up and opening programs

Sorry if I'm on the wrong forum - wasn't quite sure where to post.

I have a Dimension 9200 with Windows XP and am having lots of problems opening programs.

For instance, when I try and launch a program like Picasa which I use regularly (both from the shortcut and also from the original file), it comes up with a box asking me which program I want to launch the program with.  It seems to do this with everything that I try to open. 

Also, when I click on start and have a list of 5 programs at the left that i used to be able to just click on to start them nothing happens.

Thanks in advance - any help much appreciated.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 27th, 2011 09:00

hjb001,

Have you tried scanning your system for malware or a virus? If not, you may want to scan the system to see if it is infected.

11 Posts

June 27th, 2011 11:00

My Pc seems to be in a really bad way and I am thinking that perhaps it is a virus.  We usually use AVG free edition and spybot and last time i ran a scan it was fine.

This time I can't open AVG (or indeed anything else on the PC with the exception of internet explorer).

I just went onto the AVG website to try and redownload it but as soon as I tried to run it, the message box came up saying "what program do you want to run this file with".  And I could get no further.

Not sure how I can scan for viruses now as everything seems to be disabled.  Help!

thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 27th, 2011 19:00

Go to Dell's Malware Removal Forum. Read the Sticky note at the top of the page and follow the instructions to post a HiJackThis log over there.

Be sure to include the PC model, version of Windows and all the symptoms in your first post. They'll help you fix it...

Ron

11 Posts

June 28th, 2011 02:00

Will do

thanks

No Events found!