Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 24th, 2016 09:00

Problems installing Dell supplied Windows 10 on Factory downgraded Optiplex

Purchased OptiPlex 3040 with Windows 7 Factory downgrade install.  Now want to install Windows 10 from the Dell supplied OEM DVD.

Have followed these instructions  www.dell.com/.../SLN288177

and these  en.community.dell.com/.../19988139

but neither of them work.

After changing the BIOS settings & re-booting I get a Dell SupportAssist screen with a white cross inside a red circle and the only option is a shutdown button.

Anyone else experienced this and have a solution ?

33 Posts

August 26th, 2016 03:00

Have now solved this myself.

I had made a backup copy of the Dell supplied DVD - we always do this when we only have one physical copy of the media as they so easily get damaged & unreadable.  I was using the copy to install.

It suddenly occurred to me whether Dell had implemented some sort of mechanism to prevent using copied DVDs for installation.  I reverted to the original DVD and lo and behold it worked.

The fact that the copy didn't crash with any sort of error but just gave a screen with a shutdown button makes me think this is deliberate policy by Dell.  Anyone know if this is true ?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 26th, 2016 03:00

Windows 10 Installation Media can be downloaded from Microsoft:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

Unlike the Dell Windows 10 Reinstallation DVD it will be up to date at Windows 10 RS1 version 1607 opposed to the earlier Windows 10 TH1 version 1507 or Windows 10 TH2 version 1511. Using up to date installation media and directly clean installing will give you superior system performance.

No Events found!