Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2004 20:00

Problems installing Internet Explorer 6

I am having problems with IE 6 SP1 so I need to reinstall it but I am having problems with it also. First thing I did was to try and uninstall the current IE 6 that I have from add/remove. Then I downloaded the current IE 6 SP1 from the microsoft website here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displaylang=en

Then I tried to install it and all of a sudden a message saying:

"The Software You Are Installing Has Not Passed Windows Logo Testing... " Error Message When You Try to Install Internet Explorer 6 SP1

But then I found an article on the microsoft knowledge base about this here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828031&Product=ie600

It said to remove the KB823559 security patch for IE so that this error message won't be displayed again. Which I did, but I still got the error message again when I tried to run the setup for the installation again after a reboot.

I'm still having trouble reinstalling IE 6. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Help anyone?

Thanx!

Dell Dimension 4100 Series Pentium 3 @ 933 Mhz
384MB SDRAM @ 133 MHz
40GB Ultra ATA/100 (7200RPM) hard drive
Creative SB Live! Value Digital
32MB NVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400 video card
Windows XP Pro SP1 & Office XP Pro SP2
NAV 2004 Pro
ZoneAlarm Pro w/Web Filter 4.5.538.000

313 Posts

January 16th, 2004 21:00

ok, i went to the link you provided about reinstalling IE and followed the procedures and some files were copied and installed, but i'm not exactly sure what this did. and about the error message I couldn't find any fix for this it still comes up. any more suggestions?

18.8K Posts

January 16th, 2004 21:00

John_Doe,

Add/Remove does not remove IE in Windows XP. It only removes the listing for it. To reinstall IE follow the procedures here. For the error message you receive regarding Windows Logo Testing, see this.

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 01-16-2004 03:16 PM

18.8K Posts

January 16th, 2004 22:00

John_Doe,

From the second link I provided:

Problem Description:
When you try to install a package from the Windows Update Web site you receive a message stating that the software has not passed Windows logo testing and will not be installed..

Resolutions:
Suggestion 1
==========
This problem can occur if the hotfix installer was referencing:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log and the file was corrupt. Either renaming C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log or renaming the entire
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2 folder will allow the hotfix install to complete
normally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 2
============
Register the following system files.

1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. Type "regsvr32 licdll.dll" (without quotes).
3. Click "OK."
4. Type "regsvr32 regwizc.dll" (without quotes).
5. CLick "OK."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 3
============
This problem can also occur if the Cryptographic Services have been disabled.To resolve this problem:
1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. Type "Services.msc" (without quotes).
3. Double-click "Cryptographic Services." If the service has been disabled,enable it.
4. Attempt to download and install Windows Updates again, and then check to see if the
problem is resolved.
Suggestion 4
============
The symptom can occur if the "Microsoft Root Authority" certificate or the "NOLIABILITY ACCEPTED, (c)97 VeriSign, Inc." certificate under Trusted Root Certification Authorities has been removed. On another computer that has the Microsoft Root Authority certificate installed, do the following:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
3. Click "Contents."
4. Click "Certificates."
5. Click "Trusted Root Certification Authorities."
6. Scroll down until you locate Microsoft Root Authority certificate.
7. Click "Export."
8. Follow the prompts to export the certificate to "DER encoded Binary
x.509(.CER)file." On the computer that cannot install the update, follow the steps to import the certificate you saved.

313 Posts

January 17th, 2004 05:00

ok i believe it worked. everything seems the same though none of my settings were lost, is this normal?

18.8K Posts

January 17th, 2004 15:00

John_Doe,

With Windows the word "normal" often does not apply. Good to hear that it now works.

313 Posts

January 17th, 2004 15:00

Thanks again for all your help, appreciate it!

2 Posts

January 24th, 2004 03:00

I have done all of the above (my microsoft certificate is there, even)  and I still see no reference to IE in add/remove.  and it definitely needs repair:  my biggest issue is encoding on certain sites.

1 Message

February 6th, 2004 22:00

John Doe, We are having exactly the same issue.  Did you get your problem resolved?  IE stopped working after some webpage we visited tried to download and install something.  Now we get a send/don't send report error everytime we try to launch the app (from ntdll.dll).  Changed the ISInstalled key in the reg from 1 to 0 and have not had any success reinstalling IE.  We run into the same issue you describe below.

Inspiron 8500/WinXP Pro/512RAM/120GBHD/Linksys 650+ Pro Wireless NIC.  No other devices attached.

• 

25K Posts

June 17th, 2020 12:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!