Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2008 11:00

Problems reinstalling XP Home on Vostro 200

Hi

I haev a bit of issue/problem here. Due to protracted problems with a rootkit trojan I decide to reinstall XP onto my Vostro 200. Simple enough you would think, so I carried out the following steps

1. powered down PC
  2. disconnected SATA drive to get Vostr to boot from the XP reinstall CD provided with the vostro (SP2)
  3. booted PC and then re-connected SATA driveonce booting OK from the CD
  4. selected the correct C: partition to reinstall onto
  5. selected a full format
  6. CD then went through the normal steps of installing XP and the rebooted to complete install
  7. at this point everything went slightly bad :emotion-6:

the following message appeared

Windows copuld not start because the following file was missing or corrupted

\system32\hal.dll

please re-install a copy of the above file.

I also have a full Microsoft supplied XP SP1A CD, so re-tried with this to the same effect.

Any help, ideas or pointers graefully received as the wife is waiting to do her on-line shopping for XMAS

3.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 15:00

Hello,

Here is a Microsoft page that deals with your problem.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2008 06:00

Thanks for your help. I looked at the MS knowledge base link you gave me and I tried option 2 (recovery console and bootcfg) to no effect. Options and 3 are out as there is no ability at this level to edit boot.ini.

I did then changed the attributes of the boot.ini, deleted it then used bootcfg /rebuild to set up the correct bootstring, then bootcfg /default to set as default boot.

the boot.ini now has

signature(d0f4738c)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiiton(1)\WINDOWS

which seems correct as 1 have one single partition.

All of which just produced the same result.

Next step taken was to use expand to refresh the hal.dll, agin to no effect.

Next step was to use diskpart to blow away the partition and then reinstall from XP reinstallation CD, again same result.

All ideas are now exhausted, the only option I can think of now is to try doing a Vista install.

Any further advice gratefully received.

PC :Vostro 200 4400 dual core 2 Ghz, 320GB SATA drive, 2GB DDR memory.

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 06:00

Hello again,

I don't have any other ideas right now, but I will keep this string open and think about it.

Watch your email notifications for a reply, as I don't know if or when I might find something else. Sorry

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 10:00

Thanks for your help. I looked at the MS knowledge base link you gave me and I tried option 2 (recovery console and bootcfg) to no effect. Options and 3 are out as there is no ability at this level to edit boot.ini. ...

Hello again,

Look what I found for you.

Use this page to edit the boot.ini file from within the recovery console. :emotion-55:

3 Posts

December 1st, 2008 02:00

Hi

It turns out that this was all down to a faulty (?) SATA drive. I swapped it out and used another drive and XP installed just fine.

Of course it could be that the rootkit.trojan had done something rather nasty to the mbr.

Thanks for your help

No Events found!