Highlighted
spookyhurst
Bronze

Problems with Factory Image Restore on Dell Inspiron 1750

Jump to solution

Using the document at http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=362066 (I have Windows 7), I tried to restore my Dell Inspiron 1750 to the factory image. I hit F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options, and then chose Repair Your Computer. However, after I hit return, Windows loaded normally. After some looking around, I found that there is definitely a Recovery partition on my computer. Is there an alternative to restoring it since F8 isn't doing it? Thank you!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Mary G
Diamond

Re: Problems with Factory Image Restore on Dell Inspiron 1750

Jump to solution

Was Windows 7 the OS that was on the computer when you received it? If so, did you ever change, backup to or add to the Recovery Partition? If you upgraded to Win 7, the recovery partition will not work. If you changed anything on the D partition, it won't work. Make sure you are using the arrow key to select Repair and not the mouse.

The only alternative is to do a manual restore from disk if you cannot get PC Restore to work.

0 Kudos
mombodog
Diamond

Jump to solution

The "only" alternative is to do a manual restore from disk if you cannot get PC Restore to work.

Actually that statement is wrong.

See this, it should work for W7 also.  Scroll down to "Run PC Restore From a Microsoft® Windows Vista DVD"

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=298A2E89689E13C2E040A68F5B280AA4&doclang=en#2

Here is yet another method:  Works for Vista, I have not tested it for W7, but should work if you get the proper file path for the wim file located on the restore partition.

Here's how to reinstall your Factory Image manually as long as the Factory Image partition is intact.

First, go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=696dd665-9f76-4177-a811-39c26d3b3b34&displa...

Download the Windows 7 Automated Installation Kit.  Burn the WAIK ISO image to a DVD by right clicking on it in W7 and select "open with"> windows disc image burner

Now, insert the DVD in a computer running W7.  Install the WAIK.

Navigate to the Program Files folder where WAIK was installed.  Find the Tools subdirectory.  Under it you will see four folders: AMD64, IA64, SERVICING, and X86.  Copy these folders to a USB drive.  They total less than 100Mb, so you can use a 128Mb USB flash drive if need be.

If you have installed Vista on the C:\ drive, then you can simply boot up your system.  Locate the file name factory.wim on the Factory Image partition. Make a note of the drive letter and path to that file.  

Open an elevated command prompt.  Navigate to the Tools\x86\ folder on your USB flash drive.

Type the following command: imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\       your file path may be different, use the one you noted earlier.

Your system should be restored to its original "as-shipped" configuration in about 30-45 minutes.

Note that this restores Dell's Proprietary Master Boot Record so that in the future will be able to access the Factory Image by pressing F8 while booting up. 

0 Kudos
spookyhurst
Bronze

Jump to solution

Window 7 is my original OS, so the recovery partition should be untouched.

I've tried this:

path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32
d:
CD Tools
PCRestore

However, when I got to the CD Tools part, I was given an error (I think it said it was an unknown command).

I'll download WAIK and see if that method works.

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
mombodog
Diamond

Jump to solution

Window 7 is my original OS, so the recovery partition should be untouched.

I've tried this:

path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32
d:
CD Tools
PCRestore

However, when I got to the CD Tools part, I was given an error (I think it said it was an unknown command).

I'll download WAIK and see if that method works.

Thanks a lot for your help!

yes the path may be different for W7, you need to know the path to the wim file on the D drive

0 Kudos
C3PO5
Diamond

Jump to solution

Hi

You need to go to the tools folder in D:\ and post the files names to this thread, it seems you are missing the pcrestore file without it downloading WAIK will not help you at all !

Jerry\c3po5

XPS 430 Ram 8 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit  

Retail Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Full version 

Dimension 8400 Ram 4 gigs Retail  Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Dimension E 512 Ram 4 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Inspiron 1501 Ram 4 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Retail Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Full version on drive 2

0 Kudos
spookyhurst
Bronze

Jump to solution

I found PCRestore in D:\Temp1234\Tools

When I tried to run it, I got an error message stating that the program couldn't run because it was missing oledlg.dll. It's getting late, so I think I'll research that one tomorrow.

0 Kudos
C3PO5
Diamond

Jump to solution

Hi

Remove this folder {Temp1234\} and see if it will work for you !  I am not sure if the 7 D:\recovery is the same as Vista but the vista recovery drive has these folders .

Dell,

Program Files,

ProgramData  this may be hidden

sources

tools

Users

windows

in it . any other folders should not be in the recovery drive at lest for Vista !Maybe someone with a 7 D:\Recovery drive can confirm what folders should be in it .

Good Luck

Jerry\c3po5

0 Kudos
spookyhurst
Bronze

Jump to solution

But Temp1234 appears to be the only place that PCRestore is located. The folders in Temp 1234 are:

BOOT

DELL

Program Files

Program Data (hidden)

Sources

Tools

Users

Windows

The files in there are:

dslhold.fil

MASTER (a text file)

setup (an application)

I found a place to download the oledlg.dll file, so I guess I should see if replacing the ones on my computer with this one will help.

0 Kudos
C3PO5
Diamond

Jump to solution

Hi

Instead of using the cd tools try cd temp1234 hit the enter key then type pcrestore.

path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32

d:\

cd temp1234 then pcrestore

Jerry\c3po5

0 Kudos