Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2013 08:00

Problems with Laptop running windows 7 64 bit

Hi I have an increasing problem with my dell Inspiron 1546.I was having problems with my Internet connection running poorly so deleted it so that the driver could be intalled afresh.

However, having done this I was unable to connect to the Internet but could connect to the Router and I seemed to be missing "Connection Specific DNS suffix", "IPv4 Default Gateway"", IPv4 DNS Server", "IPv4 WINS Server" and "IPv6 Default Gateway". Also the network is Unidentified and Public and I am unable to change this.

I tried to solve this by using Tech Support Guys forum, i was having trouble connecting to Dell, and got the help of an MVP but despite numerous suggestions was unable to help.  See here for details: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1086981-another-cant-connect-internet.html

On the way I discovered I had many other problems as well.  I couldn't print to my Epson, Backupand Restore was not workingand there was a problem with the Firewall which depite being set to on was reported as being off.

I tried running SFC /scannow which reported no problems but having been advised to run it it so that it checked the system using the Installation disk I discovered firstly that the computer would not boot up from the cd drive, then that I coulldn't alter the boot up sequence as pressing F12 caused the computer to just stall.  I could use F2 which tookme into Pre-boot sytem Assessment which at first run reported that the CD-DVD was reporting a status error this disappeared on a second run.  After this the computer went into a further set of tests which reported no problem with the CD-DVD drive but did report and error with the coolng fan - speed incorrect.

I'm tearing my hair out with this and any help would be gratefully accepted.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 7th, 2013 13:00

If you having problems with your fan, your system may be overheating which can some cause issues with the wireless card. Verify how hot the base of the latop is, you can install Piriform Speccy which will monitor the temperature of the hard drives CPU and Motherboard.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Power off your system, remove the AC adapter and battery. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Leave your system off for a few hours and then retry booting from the DVD. Verfiy the temperature of your system.

As for booting for DVD are you trying to boot from a Dell Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1 Reinstallation DVD?

8 Posts

February 8th, 2013 11:00

Many thanks for your reply.

I installed "speccy" which reports the cpu temperature as 76 C whilst the mother board is at about 24 C..

My Installation disk is certainly Dell Windows 7 Home Premium but it doesn't say if it has SP1.  If not then I assume that I can't do a repair from the disk.

After posting this I finally managed to Run Windows 7 Antivirus which found a Virus, Exploit Java, and removed it.  I can now Access the Installation dis at startup, however, without the disk F12 just causes the computer to stall. All other conditions are the same as before.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 9th, 2013 08:00

Okay your CPU temperature seems maybe a bit high for comfort, for a laptop that teperature is not unheard off but still it would be better to lower it to something like 50ºC. Is the 76ºC the temperature immediately after switching on (after the laptop has been powered off for a while)?

If you can you should use some compressed air e.g. a can of Dust-Off and a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to clean out the vents. Power off the system and remove the AC adapter and battery. Spray all vents with the compressed air. Tilt the compressed air slightly when using it but not too much i.e. don't hold it at 90º as it will come out as a liquid. Hold the vacuum cleaners hose attachment about 5-10 cm away from the laptop (depending on the strength of the vaccum cleaner) and repeat several times until the dust is removed from the fan.

What BIOS revision do you have? It should say in the BIOS setup. If pressing F12 causes the system to stall you can change the boot sequence in the BIOS setup. You can temporally change it so it will boot straight from CD/DVD before the internal hard drive and hopefully run the OS setup.

8 Posts

February 11th, 2013 09:00

Sorry I'v taken so long to answer.  The temperature only reaches the 70's after about an hour and so far has never got up to 80 no matter how long the computer has been on.  I intend to replace the fan in the very near future.rere

I am feeling that the best course of action is to reinstall the software but I'm confused  by the partitions on the disk.  There are 4: The Boot partition, Recovery Partition, OS Partition (C) & Data Partition (D). Presumable the Boot partition would be created when I reinstall but what about the recovery partition and would I need to remove these other partitions by formatting before installation?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 13th, 2013 01:00

It depends. If you are restting to factory partitions they are fine.

If you are performing a manual clean installation then the recovery partition for instance is useless and you may delete all partitions and partition your hard drive according to your own preferences. See the clean install of Windows guide attached to my signature for more details.

No Events found!