Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2008 11:00

Question re reinstalled windows xp

Hi I have re installed windows xp but now when I open my system it shows two versions of windows xp and windows xp professional. I could not reinstall over original site so therefore ended up with two options. The windows xp was my error in trying to reinstall the media edition.  All I want to do is start the computer and let it go to windows xp.  Any help with regard removing or hiding the other options on start up?  Also since I reinstalled the @ key has moved to above the two rather than where it is shown on keyboard

Noreen

12K Posts

March 10th, 2008 11:00

Two possibilitiies so let's start wihte easiet.  Go to Start>Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes.  Go to the Boot.ini tab and hit the button "Check All Boot Paths" and then reboot.  If this does not solve the issue, you installed a second copy of XP so you need to delete the C Partition, recreate it, and then reinstall the OS.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Driver Installation:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=1A0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744&journalid=4F1F82483DC811DBAE564F9328EE04A4&l=en&s=gen

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dn=1090643

To find and download the drivers for your system, scroll down the page on click on
"Drivers and Downloads". Then enter your Service Tag or model number of your computer.
Select your operating system and then download the drivers that you need.

12K Posts

March 10th, 2008 13:00

"Solve" the problem, don't "hide" it.

17 Posts

March 10th, 2008 13:00

hi,

To hide the option click start,right click My computer,left click on properties,the system propeties window would show up,click on advanced option and the click on settings under start up and recovery then you would see an option TIME TO DISLAY LIST OF OPERATING SYSTEMS make it 0 seconds,click apply and ok,restart you computer that should do it.

Regards,

Andy

14 Posts

March 10th, 2008 19:00

Thanks Andy for the help re my problem.  As I am not very computer literate re programming

hiding the options was the best solution for me.  Now when I turn on computer it goes straight

into windows XP phew.  My last query is this since I reinstalled windows xp when I go to

|type the @ key it has moved from where it was displayed on keyboard beside the hash key which

on typing this reply has also disappeared. It would be great to sort these niggles out but compared with

my problems over past four weeks I can live with them!

Thanks again really appreciated help JM but very limited experience on my part and I did not understand

your reply

12K Posts

March 11th, 2008 00:00

Those were step-by-step instructions.

14 Posts

March 28th, 2008 14:00

Will this solve my problem?

Noreen

14 Posts

Hi Andy

I have a much bigger problem now.  I reinstalled Windows but I did not install antivirus protection (stupid I know) and now have a trojan virus that keeps crashing my system.  I have tried to go to local broadband company and they cannot complete a virus check as system keeps crashing. I tried to install Spybot search and destroy with no joy.  Last night I reinstalled windows Xp and then ran norton antivirus but I need now to re connect to broadband tonight.  I had tried before this trojan virus to install AVG 75 and my pc crashed so just need to ask should I leave this to the experts to wipe clean and re install or should I keep trying.  I wanted to know if reinstalling wipes out virus or does it just lie there until it is removed?

Any help would be appreciated 

528 Posts

download and install nod32 30 day trial then update it.

then make your settings look like this:

then do a full scan

Message Edited by Otiss on 03-28-2008 10:31 AM

17 Posts

March 29th, 2008 02:00

Hi there,

I would suggest you to Clean Install win xp on your computer because now the damage has already been done and no matter what you do the traces of trojan and unwanted programs will still remail on your hard drive and registry for win xp. If you need help then let me know i can send you steps how to do it yourself or you want experts to do it call Dell Technical Support because they are professionally trained on Dell hardware and software (trust me on that).

Regards,

Andy

528 Posts

March 29th, 2008 03:00

first you need to check and make sure its clean, nod32 will do that for us, once we know its clean we will take it from there ;)
No Events found!