DEJensen
1 Copper

RIS and RIPrep problems with GX270, Server 2003 and XP

I have a bunch of Dell GX270s which have a built-in Intel gigabit NIC. I'm running Windows 2003 Server as my domain and RIS server and installing XP-SP1 images. Because 2003 RIS and XP don't support the Intel NIC out of the box I went through the steps of adding the drivers to both the stock i386 and $OEM$ folder of my XP image on the RIS server. That's all fine. I can perform a RIS install of the base operating system on a workstation with no hassles via PXE. The resulting install works fine, all networking is great. The problem is, once I've configured my master client the way I want to and I go to RIPrep it back to the RIS server, it copies all the files back to the RIS server without a hitch until it gets to the "Copy and update registry information" task on the RIPrep Wizard. At this point I get the following dialog boxes in order;

STARTCOM.EXE > "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

NTDETECT.COM> "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

NTLDR> "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

RISTNDRD.SIF> "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

The computer then flashes a quick dialog box then reboots into the MiniSetup Wizard.

When I look at the folder created by RIPrep it is missing some of the files that should be there such as the ristndrd.sif.

I have used both the current Dell Intel Pro1000 drivers and a newer release of said drivers from Intel. Same result. My guess is that a NIC driver is needed in yet one more location for that final RIPrep process where it needs to copy files back to RIS server, hence the "The network location cannot be reached" message. I had been doing the install at Gigabit speed and then retried it at 100 just to make sure that wasn't the problem. The Dell, Microsoft and Intel sites as well as way too much time on Google have resulted in nothing. I'm hoping someone here has come across something similar or know some folks who have who can help me out here.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Caladan
1 Nickel

Re: RIS and RIPrep problems with GX270, Server 2003 and XP

On intel's site for the gigabit nic... there is a link that explains exactly how to reconfigure the inf file so that it automatically recognizes the nic. 

http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-000023-prd38.htm

You place it in your drivers folder, and in your i386 folder, and it takes care of the problem you're having(as I had the same issue with my gx270 setup)

Hope that helps!

-Larry

0 Kudos