Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 14th, 2012 05:00

Re: Re-Installing XP

Hello, This will be my first time on this site and forgive me if I'm in the wrong area. Here's my problem, I have a Dell Dimension b110 that I had bought new in 2006 from Dell and it came with XP. I have kept this system running smooth and clean and I know it's an old system and the only upgrade I have done is installing (2) 1 GB memory cards. In March of 2012 I had a idea to buy and install Windows Vista Home Premium, Bad mistake. I have noticed that the vista is running heavy on my system and the hardware and software is not working together. Everything in my computer can't keep up with the vista, I have ran all the test I can to correct these issue's but I just have a old system and I'm not looking to put anymore money into it. (except the memory cards I bought) Here's the problem, I tried to re-install my XP System from my start up that came with the computer and it's not working, I'll put them in and it will say it can't install the XP, I also noticed that I don't even have any Partition's in my disc management or there hidden somewhere. All I want to do is wipe out everything and just put my XP back on and forget about Vista. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and make it easy to do.  

2.6K Posts

August 14th, 2012 09:00

Hello,

Going by your problem, when you don’t have the recovery partition on the Hard Drive, we would have to do it from the Disks.

Procedure to Reinstall the Operating System. 
-- Insert the OS Disk in the DVD Drive.
-- Restart the computer and keep tapping the F12 Key and it would load to One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select the CD/DVD Group and hit Enter
-- It would ask you to press any key to continue booting through CD, Hit Enter.
You would see further options to proceed with installation on the screen.

The below link would have the screen shots to help you with the installation.
http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/windows-xp-installation/5181?tag=thumbnail-view-selector;get-photo-roto

Once you re-install the OS, please click on the link below to install the drivers for the devices connected to your system.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dimension-1100

The sequence that you should install the drivers are: 

Application, Audio, BIOS, Chipset, Communications, Diagnostics, Displays, IDE/EIDE, Input, Network, Removable Storage, System Utilities, Video. 

Note: Please back up all the data before reinstalling the Operating System, as it would delete everything from the computer. 

Please try the steps and post the results, would be glad to help you further. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 14th, 2012 10:00

Allan ... your driver sequence is only in alphabetical order and is not the correct order :)

Bronco (go Raiders!) ... drivers should be installed with the System Software first (under System Utilities), then the Chipset.  After that, it doesn't much matter, but if you fail to install the chipset before the other drivers, there is a good chance that subsequent driver installs will fail and/or you may need to reinstall again from scratch.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 14th, 2012 16:00

Yes the driver sequence is wrong. My guide will give you full install instructions step by step see here.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 14th, 2012 18:00

broncofand,

Please note, the correct order to order the drivers are...

How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Notgebook system utility and the chipset drivers first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Rick

No Events found!