Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2013 07:00

Re-install OS on Inspiron N5030

My son did not do a backup and his laptop, possibly due to a virus it now boots up to a black screen with a cursor.  I did receive the software from Dell, however when I try to install the OS, it runs fine but once it reboots, I get the same black screen and cursor.

I don't know if this matters, however I am running the OS software 1st as I can't get the utilities and drivers to install without the OS??

Any assistance would be so appreciated!

Carrie.

2.2K Posts

January 17th, 2013 12:00

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for the reply.

Please reset the BIOS to default. Restart the computer and the moment it starts start tapping the F2 key to boot the computer to BIOS.

Select Load Default > Apply > Exit.

Reinstall the operating system. Delete all the partitions during the installation. Once the partitions are deleted you will see a single option "Unallocated Space". Create a new partion from unallocated Space  and install windows.

Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2.2K Posts

January 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the Community.

Unplug all external peripherals except the power cord, keyboard and mouse.

Perform the installation using the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/Qe7jyP 

In case it still does not work, I would suggest you to run diagnostics on the computer which will isolate the issue.

1. Restart the computer and tap F12 key to access One Time Boot Menu
  2. Highlight Boot to Utility Partition and hit Enter to start the diagnostics

Please make a note of the error code if you get any.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

January 17th, 2013 12:00

I've done that, except for when it comes to the "restart" many times, I then get the blank screen again and there it stays.  I've ran ALL the diagnostics and everything comes out fine, i'm at a loss.

9 Posts

January 18th, 2013 03:00

I think that worked, will let you know when I get home from work!!  Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!

2.2K Posts

January 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Carrie,

Please check it as per your convenience. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

January 19th, 2013 01:00

Thank You as it is now up and running!!!

9 Posts

January 21st, 2013 02:00

Bluetooth Wireless 365 driver will not install when trying to load from Utilities and Drivers disk.  During installation I continue to receive error message "Activate Bluetooth using Wireless Switch".

Thank You for your great assistance!

Carrie

2.2K Posts

January 21st, 2013 10:00

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for the reply.

Please install the Dell QuickSet driver using the link mentioned below:

Windows 7 or Vista : http://dell.to/11M2VyM

Once the driver is installed, restart the system.

Press F2 to Activate Bluetooth. In case it does not activate by F2, press Fn + F2.

Install the Bluetooth Wireless 365 driver.

Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 06:00

I can NOT believe this, turned on the laptop this morning and NOTHING grrrrr!  I ran the provided Dell diagnostics before doing the install, so what could it be??  Possible virus??

Again, Thank You!!!

2.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 07:00

Hi Carrie,

Did you get any error message when you ran Dell diagnostics.

Please unplug the battery and the adapter. Press and hold power button for 10 seconds. Plugin the adapter and turn on the computer.

Please keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 15:00

Good evening,

I resolved the power up issue, however activating bluetooth freezes up the laptop!  How do I know for sure bluetooth

was installed? 

Have a great evening!

Carrie

2.2K Posts

January 24th, 2013 08:00

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for the reply.

Please let me know the operating system installed on the computer so that I can help you in a better way.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

January 24th, 2013 12:00

Windows 7, as long as I disable the system works fine.

2.2K Posts

January 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi Carrie,

As you mentioned the system works fine when bluetooth is disabled,  I would suggest you to ensure that the latest BIOS is running.

I would recommend you to update the BIOS and Chipset Driver of the laptop. Please click the link mentioned below which will take you to the drivers website:

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Enter the Service Tag of the computer and choose the Operating System installed on the computer. Please update the latest version of BIOS available.

NOTE: Ensure that the adapter is connected and the battery is at least 30% charged.

Please keep me posted with the result.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

January 29th, 2013 04:00

Good morning Manshu,

So sorry for the long delay, been in my work mode!  I've updated Bios and Quickset, enabled bluetooth thru F2, however when I go to Control Panel there is no Bluetooth.  I am going to try one more time to re-install the Bluetooth driver off the disk, then I am at a total loss.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance,.

Carrie

No Events found!