Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2009 14:00

Re-installing Vista Home Premium - on Ubuntu currently

I would like to use the Dell Reinstallation Vista disc that came with my XPS 1530 last year in order to install Vista on my laptop, replacing Ubuntu and 'starting over' with Vista. Every time I boot from this disc it takes me to the x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe command line window and I cannot seem to run any command from there.

Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to use this disc? Thank you for your time.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 06:00

RL2010,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The Vista disk probably will not be able to format your disk. It won't be able to see the ext3 partition. Try the GParted LiveCD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) to delete all of your partitions and use your entire disk space to create a new NTFS partition. Then Vista will be able to see your drive and install.

You can use GParted on your Ubuntu LiveCD, but you'll have to unmount your hard drive.

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 08:00

Can I use my Ubuntu 8.10 disc I downloaded/created originally to delete all partitions? Eventually I'll set it up to dualboot Ubuntu as I like Ubuntu but I need Vista at the moment.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably download GParted and create the disc.

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 12:00

Current update - I have created a GParted disc and made my harddrive one single partition completely unallocated then continued to make that an NTFS partition. I inserted the Vista Reinstallation disc and I have the exact same problem as in the OP. Any suggestions?

No Events found!