24taz48
1 Copper

Re-installing Windows 7 on Vostro 3550

I am trying to re-install Windows 7 on my Dell Vostro 3550 from Disc Dell sent. I go through all the steps, format the drive and it starts the install. Before I get to the part to enter Product key it restarts, after the restart it comes up "Starting Windows" but then nothing happens. Does anyone know what may be the problem?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Re-installing Windows 7 on Vostro 3550

Hi 24taz48,

When you’re using the Dell disc to install the windows 7, it will not ask you for a product key. However, you can try changing the settings in BIOS page. Please follow the steps below to change the settings in BIOS.           

Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the system setup or BIOS

Please confirm that you are able to see the headings ‘Main’, ‘Advanced’, ‘Security’, ‘Boot’ and ‘Exit’ on the screen

Use the right-arrow key to navigate to ‘Advanced’

In the ‘Advanced’ select SATA operation check if its [AHCI] change to [ATA], Incase under SATA operation if its mentioned [ATA] change it to [AHCI]

Press the ‘F10’ key to save the changes and exit the BIOS screen, when asked to confirm the same, please select ‘Yes’ and press ‘Enter’

Restart the computer and then try the installation process.

Please do reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
24taz48
1 Copper

I tried the above fix and it did not work. I still can't install Windows. During the install as soon as it goes to restart it suts down starts up and says Starting Windows and then nothing else happens.

0 Kudos

Hi 24taz48,

This may be an issue with the CD/DVD which you are using in the system, please try the CD/DVD in another system and check whether the installation is working fine? Also release flea power and run the test to check the hardware is working as designed. Follow the steps below to release the excess flea power.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess flea power and run the test. Please run the PSA hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed. Follow the steps below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/i5zbDR                    

Please do reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos