Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2009 07:00

Received the ollowing error message in my "Event Viewer"....

"The following boot-start or system-star drivers failed to load:  AFD,bdftdif, easdrv, epfwtdir, Fips, intelppm, IPSec, Lbd, MRxSmb, NetBIOS, NetBT, RasAcd, Rdbss, TcPiP. Tcpip6." 

This error occured numerous time, according to the "Event Viewer", numerous times starting almost 1-month ago, however I just noticed the error, as my Dell XPS 410, Windows XP Media Center Edition, is currently only operable in Safe Mode.  No recent hardware changes, not within las year or so.  One new software addition, and it was after I installed this software that my computer got sick.   The software is Bit Defender Total Internet Security.  It installed, the trial version that is, just fine, and once I opened it the program, my computer locked up, I could still use the mouse but only to move it around the screen, could not get it to open anything else.  In Safe Mode, I could only delete certain programs.  Bit Defender was not one I could delete.  And in normal mode, clicking on anything freezes my screen.  Anyone?  Any ideas what the error message says?  If you need additional info let me know I am stumped on this one....

• 

16.7K Posts

July 14th, 2009 12:00

mtdevitt,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try doing a system restore to see if that will resolve the issue you are having with the system. Sometimes these 3rd party system programs will take over and can really do some harm to the OS.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2009 05:00

Thank you for your response.  I ran the diagnostic tests included on the Dell Drivers and Utilities Disc, and they all seemed to pass.  So again I booted up in safe mode, but cant get on the internet,  and apparently to remove the Bit Defender I need access to the internet.  As for a System Restore, I can not perform a system restore in safe mode.  Before jumping into Safe Mode, after pressing F8 and getting the options screen i.e, "Safe Mode", Safe Mode w/Networking", etc., when it gives you the option to "Restart System ...Last known configuration that worked", "Debugging Mode", and start Windows normally", I have selected the ..."Last known Configuration that worked..." option and I can then and only then open folders and files, but still in safe mode and in turn, cant do the system restore .  So i attempt to remove this "guilty until proven innocent" Bit Defender and I receive the following message:"Windows installer Service could not be accessed.  This can occur if operating in Safe Mode (which i am), or if Windows Installer is not correctly installeled.  Here is my predicament...get out of Safe Mode then, boot my OS normally, and try to uninstall it then...Sounds good in theory, only, when I am in Safe Mode, that is the only time I can click on anything. open anything (folder, files, app), etc.  When I boot up in normal mode, I can click on anything, and all it takes is one click and I now have an hourglass instead of an arrow.  And my tower is silent so I know it is not doing anything.  So I cant even get to the cmd prompt.  It is the most baffling thing i have ever seen.  So basically right now, if not in safe mode, I cannot click on anything, type any thing (ctrl+alt+del wont close antthing and/or stop an ap.  I know it is kinda wordy here, but its the best way I can describe it.  Bottom line is, a System Restor is currently unavailable.  Any other suggestions based on what you know and what info I typed in here?  Any help and your help thus far is very much apprecited.

No Events found!