Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2013 16:00

Recovery partition using too much space?

I recently purchased a refurb laptop that has a recovery parition of 13.67 GB as shown in Windows Disk Management.  When I check the properties of the partition it shows 8.42 GB of used space and 5.24 GB free space.  Is there anyway I can add the free space of this partition to the main partition?  Why would Dell use this much space when it only needed about 9 GB?  (This machine was refurbished by Dell) I know 5 GB does not sound like a lot, but I only have 105.57 GB total on the main partition, I would like to use all I can.  Don't know if it matters, but this computer actually came with a Windows Reinstallation DVD from Dell, do I even need the recovery partition?  Thanks for any advice.

2K Posts

August 5th, 2013 22:00

Hi slow72,

Unfortunately partitions cannot be copied. However, you may use any image software available in the market which will help in backing up all the partitions in the computer.

18 Posts

August 4th, 2013 21:00

Can I make a copy of the partition so I can put a larger drive in?

2K Posts

August 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi slow72,

Dell systems do require recovery partitions. This acts as a link between operating system and recovery application. So in future if you want to take the computer back to factory state you will not be able to do so if recovery partition is altered. There is no way to transfer 5.24GB free space to the main partition.

No Events found!