Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2006 16:00

Registry Error Stop: 0x00000051

My computer is a Dimension 2350.   When I try to boot I get the message "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  Registry Error Stop: 0x00000051 (0x00000004, 0x00000001, 0xe14c40e0, 0x00007cb8)"
When I try to boot from my Dell XP CD it proceeds normally until it asks me if I want to reinstall Windows or Repair Windows.  Either option leads me back to the Registry Error message.  I cannot get the Recovery Console prompt.  I have data that I need to retrieve off the HD before I attempt a clean reinstall however it is not clear to me how I would even do a clean install if I cannot get to the Recovery Console prompt.  I have exhausted my computer knowledge and am desparate for assistance.  Any help would be appreciated.  I did run the F10 hardware diagnostics and they came back clean except for "Error Code 4E00:011XC, USB Controller 0, MSG: Register #0 read write failed (8bit), found 40h expected 00h) not sure if this is contributing to the problem.

February 22nd, 2006 17:00

Can you get into safe mode?

Do you have a floppy drive? If so, and you need to install a clean windows, or if you want to try to repair your current windows, goto: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
There it will show you how to make boot disks. It will by pass all those errors you have been having. It does allow you to either try to repair windows or purge everything and install a clean winXP.

2.9K Posts

February 22nd, 2006 18:00

HMC100,

The USB error may be contributing to the problem.  Stop: 0x00000051 can be caused by hardware problems.  First, turn off the computer.  Unplug all devices except keyboard, mouse and monitor. Preferable to use PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  Restart computer.  See if you get error again.  If you do, restart again.  Press F8 (about 2 times a second) while Dell logo is on screen.  If you can get to Safe Mode selection screen, select Last Known Good Configuration.  Let us know what happens.

11 Posts

February 22nd, 2006 19:00

I do have a floppy drive on the computer.  I will try going to the microsoft support site and creating a boot disk.

11 Posts

February 22nd, 2006 19:00

I will try your suggestion of unplugging all deviced other than keyboard and mouse and report back.  I have already tried booting into safe mode from F8.  I tired every option offered including "Last Known Good Configuration" with no luck.  Same Registry Error every time.

February 23rd, 2006 18:00

No, the floppy boot will not. The floppy boot loads all it's own drivers and so forth from the six disks that are provided. The boot disks are a last resort option, when all else fails and you have no other options. However it does come in handy when your computer just goes kaputz on you.

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2006 18:00

As recommended I unplugged all external devices except mouse and keyboard and tried to reboot but I continue to receive the same Registry Error after multiple tries. 

I also retried booting to safe mode from F8 using all options offered with no luck.

Another suggestion was to create a floppy boot disk from the microsoft support site.   The problem is that my only working floppy drive is on the computer that is not working so I am unable to create the 6 new boot discs on my working computer which only has a CD drive.  Before I attempt to remove the internal drive and move it to my good computer I want to make sure it is worth the trouble since the microsoft site indicates it is preferable to boot from a CD.   On the bad computer I can boot from my Dell Windows XP CD that came with the computer.  It loads several files and presents the option to Fix (R) or reinstall XP.  Either option results in the Registry Error after that point.  Is a floppy boot disk only going to lead me to the same place?

570 Posts

February 24th, 2006 18:00

HMC100,

Consider Tony's suggestion, but an alternative solution if your hard drive has at least two partitions, is to copy the important data to the non-OS partition. Use UBCD to do that.

Then you can do reformat and reinstall XP, as your last resort.

2.9K Posts

February 24th, 2006 18:00

HMC100 asked:
"On the bad computer I can boot from my Dell Windows XP CD that came with the computer.  It loads several files and presents the option to Fix (R) or reinstall XP.  Either option results in the Registry Error after that point.  Is a floppy boot disk only going to lead me to the same place?"

Unfortunately, it probably will.  Your hard drive has apparently developed a bad spot in a most critical area.  Your best option to recover your files at this point would be to disconnect and remove the hard 2350's hard drive.  Take it to another Windows XP computer.  Shutdown and disconnect the power cord to that computer.  Press the power button to remove all residual charges.  Open the case, disconnect the CD-ROM on that computer and temporarily connect the 2350 HD in its place.   Reconnect power cord.  Turn on computer.   Hopefully, you will be able to copy the files you need from the 2350 drive to a folder on the other computer's hard drive.  Once done.  Shutdown. Remove power cord again. Push power button to discharge capacitors.  Remove 2350 HD, reconnect CD-ROM. Restart the computer, and copy the files to a CD (assuming you have a rewritable CD-ROM).

Tony

2.9K Posts

February 27th, 2006 01:00

Sparkenh,

Good suggestion.  I debated whether or not to mention UBCD or UBCD for Windows which of course uses Bart's PE.  UBCD for Windows as you probably know requires XP SP2 unless you remark out the sdhcinst.dll file and associated registry entries in the BTSDrivers.inf file.  Just used it today to fix a Stop: 0x0000007B error generated by a non-OEM replacement motherboard.  Great for backing up data on otherwise inaccessible drives.

Tony

11 Posts

February 27th, 2006 14:00

What is a UBCD?  I have ordered a boot CD for windows off the internet that is suppose to have the ability to fix registry errors as well as many other problems - is this what you are referring to?  I am running XP Pro on the computer but I am not sure I ever installed SP2 since there were reported problems with it.  

11 Posts

February 27th, 2006 14:00

Regarding Tony's suggestion.  If I disconnect the HD in the good computer as you suggest and install the bad HD from the 2350 it is just going to present the same boot problem.  Did I misunderstand? Were you actually suggesting that I install the 2350 HD as a slave drive in the good computer which would allow it to boot from a good drive - otherwise how would I copy files from one drive to other unless they were both connected? 

570 Posts

February 27th, 2006 15:00

HMC100,

Click the link to UBCD on my past reply for info.

2.9K Posts

February 28th, 2006 00:00

HMC100,

Sparkenh's suggestion to download and create the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from this site: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ will allow you to backup your data.  The UBCD is free and is loaded with a variety of data recovery utilities. 

My suggestion was to connect the 2350 hard drive to the CD-ROM drive cable in another computer.  By using that computer's CD-ROM drive cable, you don't have to play around with master/slave, cable select jumpers on that computer's boot drive or the 2350 drive.  You don't touch the other computer's boot drive or connectors.  You simply disconnect the data cable and power connector from the other computer's  CD-ROM drive and connect them to the 2350 drive.  That computer will boot up normally with the 2350 drive as its D: drive.  Once you copy the data from the 2350 drive to that computer's hard drive, you power down, disconnect the 2350 drive, reconnect the CD-ROM drive, close the case and that computer is as it was.  Reboot and backup the data you copied from the 2350 drive to CDs, ZIP drive or whatever kind of backup media you desire.

Tony

11 Posts

February 28th, 2006 16:00

Tony,

I misunderstood your earlier recommendation regarding connecting the bad HD to the CD-ROM connector in the good computer.  That is a great idea.  That is going to be my first attempt at recovering the data.  I will also burn a copy of the UBCD just in case I need it.  I would not be surprised if the boot disk I ordered off of ebay for $10 is the same as the UBCD disk which is free.   Thanks for clearing up my confusion.   I will report back the results.

Hal

2.9K Posts

February 28th, 2006 23:00

Hal,

No problem.  Keep us informed.  Sparkenh, myself or someone will be around if you need any help with the UBCD. 

Tony

No Events found!