Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 01:00

Reinstall of windows xp, having problems with various programs freezing

Hi, I am looking for any help or pointers as to why my computer is freezing up/hanging.  It most only does it with switching to/from programs.  It acts like my CPU is max usage, however its rarely above 50% even during gaming.  IE7 is the worst at this.. It acts like its working, then it freezes, sometimes up to a minute before actually switching tabs, or to another program window.  I reloaded XP Pro SP3 from XP Home.  I have 2 gig of ram, and am using the NVIDIA GeForce 5200 Video Card.  I have reinstalled the firmware for the 5200, but no changes.  Also on a side note, my burning software which use to take 45 mins to back up a dvd, now takes over 3 hours, which I am thinking may be a firmware update issue ?  Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.  :emotion-1:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 20th, 2008 03:00

First, what model PC?  Second how did you reinstall?  See THIS Dell info on restoring and make sure you installed correctly (on most Dell systems there are chipset drivers and that is an often missed item and it can cause many problems).

3.7K Posts

December 20th, 2008 06:00

Hi dojia44, There is also a journal on how to restore your drivers HERE. Use this along with the journal that fireberd give you.

December 20th, 2008 07:00

first of all check whether is your system affected by any virus. There are so many sites which offers free online virus scan. In case if you want to reinstall windows using CD you can visit the following site for screenshot. Computerhelp

11 Posts

December 20th, 2008 11:00

I run on a DIM 3000.  I used the windows pro disk and booted from disk.  I did use file transfer wizard, and was told that would save most of my info and settings.  I was reffered to reload windows via this method.  I installed norton as my first application and have since ran virus check and a spybots check.  So it shouldn't be one of those. 

20.5K Posts

December 20th, 2008 12:00

What other anti-malware scans have you run? If you have not tried these,  I suggest giving BOTH of them a try in the following order:

(For Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista)

Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Notes:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "catchjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "catchjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

Download and scan with Super Anti-Spyware Free for Home Users. It is available HERE:
*Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

11 Posts

I use spybots 1.6.0

I'm pretty sure its not maleware or adaware, as I did all my installs from disks or direct downloads from manufacturer's sites.. It started before I hooked up my internet as well.  Definately a software/firmware thing, would be my guess.

3.4K Posts

Hello,

Here is the updated and Dell 'approved' correct order for installing.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older system that offer no DSS or NSS file. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

20.5K Posts

[Duplicate post deleted.]

11 Posts

December 20th, 2008 22:00

I did install XP first.  The second step however, I didn't do.  I downloaded all the firmware listed for my express code, but that wasn't on there, that I noticed.  I did everything after that as it said to do.. Do you recommend doing the info the note says at the bottom?

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

3.4K Posts

December 21st, 2008 05:00

I did install XP first.  The second step however, I didn't do.  I downloaded all the firmware listed for my express code, but that wasn't on there, that I noticed.  I did everything after that as it said to do.. Do you recommend doing the info the note says at the bottom?

Hello again,

Yes, that is very important. :emotion-21:

edit: Your system downloads do contain a DSS file. And as such that should have been the first thing installed after Windows. But since it wasn't the note must be used just as is listed. :end edit

11 Posts

December 21st, 2008 10:00

Outstanding!  Thanks very much!  This seems to have fixed my hang up/freezing problems completely!  I wouldn't have thought that something listed as optional would have mattered this much, and the install order would have made a difference.  Thanks so much to everyone for your inputs and help!

3.4K Posts

December 21st, 2008 11:00

Outstanding!  Thanks very much!  This seems to have fixed my hang up/freezing problems completely!  I wouldn't have thought that something listed as optional would have mattered this much, and the install order would have made a difference.  Thanks so much to everyone for your inputs and help!

Hello again,

You're welcome, and I am glad to help. :emotion-22:

I also do not understand the reasons behind Dell's lack of correct information.  :emotion-40: That is the reason that I got my updated and improved list 'approved' by the Dell mods here, and also why I post it so often.

I'm glad everything is working for you. :emotion-15:

No Events found!