Thereal-dbk4297
5 Tungsten

Re: Reinstall of windows xp, having problems with various programs freezing

I did install XP first.  The second step however, I didn't do.  I downloaded all the firmware listed for my express code, but that wasn't on there, that I noticed.  I did everything after that as it said to do.. Do you recommend doing the info the note says at the bottom?

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

Hello again,

Yes, that is very important. emoticon.Yes.title

edit: Your system downloads do contain a DSS file. And as such that should have been the first thing installed after Windows. But since it wasn't the note must be used just as is listed. :end edit

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

0 Kudos
dojia44
1 Copper

Outstanding!  Thanks very much!  This seems to have fixed my hang up/freezing problems completely!  I wouldn't have thought that something listed as optional would have mattered this much, and the install order would have made a difference.  Thanks so much to everyone for your inputs and help!

0 Kudos
Thereal-dbk4297
5 Tungsten

Outstanding!  Thanks very much!  This seems to have fixed my hang up/freezing problems completely!  I wouldn't have thought that something listed as optional would have mattered this much, and the install order would have made a difference.  Thanks so much to everyone for your inputs and help!

Hello again,

You're welcome, and I am glad to help. emoticon.Beer.title

I also do not understand the reasons behind Dell's lack of correct information.  emoticon.Hmm.title That is the reason that I got my updated and improved list 'approved' by the Dell mods here, and also why I post it so often.

I'm glad everything is working for you. emoticon.Geeked.title

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

Tags (3)
0 Kudos