Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2013 19:00

Reinstall windows from the backup partition from within DOS.

Hi all,

I accidentally wiped my HD and MBR while installing Ubuntu on my Inspiron 660. I don’t mind losing the data since I just got the computer, but I'd like to get Windows 8 back on so I can get a dual boot going (Ubuntu/Windows).

Right now I boot only directly to Ubuntu. Using the Drivers/Utilities DVD, I am able to boot to dos on f:. There is a c: with some dos-like stuff on it. Would that be the recover partition? If so, how do I use it to restore my Windows? I am from Canada so I guess I can't get a windows copy shipped on disk:emotion-12:? I can supply more info as required.

I searched the forums and I don't think there is a problem quite like this, but if there is, my apologies!

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2013 08:00

"Is there any way to restore the recovery partition from DOS?"

No. The Recovery Partition is fairly fragile. Dual-booting, or even startup repairs such as fixboot/fixmbr will render the Recovery Partition useless.

"Ah, but I don't have a software warranty."

You shouldn't need a "software" warranty to get an installation disc. What good is their hardware without an OS? Supplying recovery media is the responsibility of the OEM. Make it clear to them that their recovery tools did NOT function properly to restore your system's OS.

With Vista and 7, you could use a "retail" copy of Windows to install, then activate by phone using your Product Key, but I have heard that official downloads of Windows 8 are not available like V/7 were, and the Product Key for Windows 8 is now located in the BIOS and not printed on the system for easy viewing, so I have not yet seen/heard that this is successful.  You might check a local PC shop, school, or business to see if someone has a DVD you could borrow. Or, if it comes down to it, you could just buy it.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 21st, 2013 19:00

"I am from Canada so I guess I can't get a windows copy shipped on disk"

You can, you just have to call Support to get it (rather than simply filling out a form).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 21st, 2013 20:00

Tell them that Window failed and the Recovery Partition is not functioning.  As long as you are in warranty, they "should" send you the disk.  Push politely, but firmly for a DVD to be sent to you, asking to escalate if necessary.  Outside the US, it seems most people are charged some amount of money for the disc, but $80 is not reasonable.

3 Posts

March 21st, 2013 20:00

Hmm ... should I ask directly for it? Cause when I explained the situation in full the tech wanted me to buy a support package ($80) to deal with it.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 05:00

Ah, but I don't have a software warranty. Returning to my original question. Is there any way to restore the recovery partition from DOS?

No Events found!