csmercurio
1 Copper

Reinstallation of Windows XP

I'm trying to reinstall windows xp on my Dimensions E520 with the installation disk, but I get to the part where it's searching for a previous version of windows and it get stuck and doesn't go any further.  Any thoughts on how to get around this?  My daughter apparently shut it down when it was writing to the registry and now it's either missing or has some corrupt files and won't boot up.

Thanks!

Cindy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Davet50
5 Iridium

Re: Reinstallation of Windows XP

See if you can do a Repair Reinstall

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

TheRealFireblad
4 Ruthenium

Re: Reinstallation of Windows XP

Welcome to the forums Cindy

It sounds like you were trying to reinstall XP after booting to the desktop - rather than after booting from the XP CD?

By booting from the CD, you completely eliminate any concerns about missing files on/problems booting from the hard drive

So you need to boot from the XP CD itself. 

Insert the XP CD, then reboot the system.  Watch the screen, for when it says "Press any key to boot from CD", and do so.

Then it's a simple case of following the prompts.

And as suggested above... you could do a 'Repair' install, which leaves everything form the previous installation intact (in a backup file called something like 'WindowsOld.bak'?).

But see if you can't boot into Safe Mode first (keep pressing F8 during the initial boot process, until you're presented with various options)?

If you can boot into Safe Mode, try doing a System Restore, to the last date before the problems started?

That would save a lot of time - and hassle

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos