Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2013 12:00

Reinstalling Windows 7/Factory reset without windows installed

I have a Inspiron R14 N4010, i've recently installed Ubuntu 13.04, removing the stock Windows 7.

I've have set up in a way that Ubuntu uses a whole logical partition but still leaves enough space for a future reinstall of windows 7, both the Dell utilities and recovery partitions were left intact.

Ubuntu, of course installed without any major issues. Now i want to reinstall sotck Windows 7 in the space I've left empty on the disk.

After trying all morning i can't for the life of me access the recovery partition.
The linux boot loader(GRUB) automatically detects the recovery partition but that fails with code 225, something about missing disk.
That was my only hope for and easy installation, after that i've looked for ways to start the "Repair system" option in boot.
After a long time of F8 F12 and F2 and combinations of Fn+FX and effing all those keys up, i've came to the conclusion that the F8 thing is a windows and not BIOS feature, that i can't access without a already installed windows system.

So am i really screwed up, is this recovery partition useless? Any suggestion on how to proceed?
I'm goign to try to download some copy of windows 7 and then try it out n burned dvd. By the way, it seems no DVD or additional stuff came with the Dell machine.
Am i right about the F8 thingy? Isn't there a way to access the restore partition and reset to factory without a system already installed?

Thanks for any help.

5 Posts

July 1st, 2013 19:00

I've successfully installed this way, the DISKPART util from windows, is bad and practically destroyed my Ubuntu's system partition, all i did was create partition on the free space.

Anyway, it was easily fixable, the windows image from inside the recovery partition was simple, and afterwards Ubuntu successfully detect the new Windows 7 and it booting.

Uh, sorry for the bad writing, i'm a bit sleepy. Thanks for the help folks, people should see this for future reference.

1.5K Posts

July 1st, 2013 13:00

Hi gfurst,

You are correct regarding F8. It is used to access the advanced boot options in Windows, there is no such option in Ubuntu. The factory recovery image doesn’t exist anymore as the operating system is re installed on the computer. There should be an operating system installed on the system to use the recovery image. As the recovery image is nothing but a snapshot of everything that comes preinstalled with the system including Windows. It is not possible to install windows 7 through Windows recovery image. You may use Windows 7 disk to install Windows on the system.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 1st, 2013 14:00

The ISO from Digital River can only be used to repair Windows (Startup, Command Line, etc.) or perform an installation.  It cannot invoke the factory partition for a factory restore.  The ISO, if burned to DVD or written to USB properly IS bootable.  You need to have software capable of creating a DVD from an ISO image.  Delete the factory/restore partition when performing the clean install.  You will need to call Microsoft to activate using the Product Key on your COA sticker.

5 Posts

July 1st, 2013 14:00

Thanks Amogh G (?) for the good answer. Yes i would like more help.

After reading about some helpful articles, i've decided to download an Official windows image from this:
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

I wonder if with this image burnt into a DVD i can boot from itself or the recovery partition and try to install a factory default from the recovery.
On the DVD it self should be a recover option right?

If that's not possible, how would i go to installing Windows 7 using my previous key? The one in the label under the laptop.
Also if this is the case, i've guess the recovery partition is no use for me, so it would be okay to wipe it off?

edit:
Just looked around and found no available DVD media here, we almost never use it anymore, I'll try to use the iso on a USB thumb instead, shouldn't make any difference right?

5 Posts

July 1st, 2013 16:00

I've successfully installed  Win7 to usb thumb, :) cheers

Upon checking if it did work, I've could see the window with the install an recovery options, it also prompted me to fix bootup.

I'm afraid to wipe out the recovery partition, i imagine it would be easier than installing all the drivers and activate the key through the phone( it could not work, i'm in brazil).

I'm also afraid of installing it and damaging my Linux partition, it will of course write over the boot, but i can choose a new partition style right?

Did a quick search and found out what i was looking for:

vinfris.wordpress.com/.../restoring-from-the-dell-recovery-partition-when-the-repair-option-does-not-work

Will try this and report back, but loved how well explained it is and that it could exactly what i was trying to do.

1.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 18:00

Hi gfurst,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your technical expertise and the troubleshooting you have performed.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2014 05:00

Hi Guys,

I own a Dell XPS 15, i am facing a similar issue.I installed Ubuntu on my system but unfortunately it erased off Windows 7.I have windows disk, booting from the disk ,i tried to access the recovery partition but not able to access it. I used a partition recovery to access the contents of the recovery partition and successfully got the contents(.wim and other files are there). But dont know how to use the wim files to restore my lap to factory state.I went through some articles and tried using Imagex.

"imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\"

But this isnt working for me. It throws an error as,

"The supported subsystem is not suppored".

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in Advance!!

No Events found!