Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2008 13:00

Reinstalling Windows XP

Let me give you guys the background on my problem. I recentlly had a problem while booting up my laptop. I would recieved an error right after the dell splash screen saying that I needed to reinstall the file system32\hal.dll. So I removed my hdd and extracted any important files using an external sata drive case onto another computer I have. After that, I reinstalled windows xp. Well, now I'm trying to reinstall the factory defult software that I had. I have the application reinstallation disks and I tryed to install them but I'm overwhelmed by all of the software that is on the disk. I.E. it has software for a fingure print scanner but I don't have on. I extracted the files, not knowing what it was, and found out later I just wasted my time. So if anyone has any ideas on how I can reset to factory defults (besides +F11 because that didn'twork) then I would greatly greatly appriciate it.

For your information:

I have a dell Latitude D530 and I can give anyother info if needed.

2.9K Posts

November 25th, 2008 01:00

Jezus53,

The only way to reset the laptop to factory defaults would be to use the CTRL F11 keys to access the Dell PC Restore by Symantec.   As long as the restore partition is intact, you can restore the CTRL F11 function using Dan Goodell's DSRFIX.  DSRFIX and instructions on how to use it are here:  http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm  Repairing the CTRL F11 function is covered in the "Troubleshooting the Restore Process" section.

If you need assistance using DSRFIX, let us know.

Tony

4.6K Posts

November 25th, 2008 05:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

You might want to start by referring to the official Dell Restoring your [Dell] computer to the factory settings guide.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2008 10:00

I already fixed, but thank you. Since I reformated the hdd it erased the factory defults. Or my laptop just didn't want to cooperate because I pushed crtl+ F11 20 times (literally) and it did nothing. But thank you for your help. Both of you, I appreciate it.

No Events found!